Jul 19, 2010, 10:43 PM EDT
You didn’t think that Ilya Kovalchuk and Simon Gagne would steal all of the headlines today, did you? Silly human. George Malik of MLive.com passes along word from the Detroit News’ Ted Kulfan that he fully expects Mike Modano to pass on joining the Detroit Red Wings.
Several people have asked me if Mike Modano is going to sign with the Red Wings.
At the beginning of this dance, I felt that he would not, and I still feel that way.
I get the sense, reading between the lines of Modano’s comments, that returning home — he’s originally from Westland — isn’t a big deal to him, especially at this point in his career. It might have been at some point, but not anymore.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)