Jul 19, 2010, 10:43 PM EDT
You didn’t think that Ilya Kovalchuk and Simon Gagne would steal all of the headlines today, did you? Silly human. George Malik of MLive.com passes along word from the Detroit News’ Ted Kulfan that he fully expects Mike Modano to pass on joining the Detroit Red Wings.
Several people have asked me if Mike Modano is going to sign with the Red Wings.
At the beginning of this dance, I felt that he would not, and I still feel that way.
I get the sense, reading between the lines of Modano’s comments, that returning home — he’s originally from Westland — isn’t a big deal to him, especially at this point in his career. It might have been at some point, but not anymore.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)