Jul 19, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
It looks like our long hockey nightmare is over.
Less than an hour after Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman said the winger would make his decision “for sure this time” today, the New Jersey Devils’ official Twitter account announced that he would be a member of their team. Here’s a screen capture of the Tweet for posterity.
Obviously it’s early on and the team said it will announce the signing on Tuesday, so financial terms might be a little slim for a bit. Devils beat writer Tom Gulitti confirmed the team report, if that helps you sleep at night/at your cubicle right now. Our Joe Yerdon also backs it up after Grossman’s Puck Agency put up a story on the subject, too.
While some think of it as a “kick to the nuts” for Los Angeles Kings fans, it will all come down to how much money drops into Kovalchuk’s lap. The elite sniper will come at a cost to the Devils, no doubt about it, and some think that he might even make it difficult for the team to retain its other talented left winger Zach Parise.
Naturally, we’ll update you with more information on the Kovalchuk signing as information comes through. That will include a look at the salary cap impact, what the signing will mean for the balance of power in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic division and more. We’ll also keep an eye on possible “domino effect” signings as the Alex Frolovs of the world make their decisions. Stay tuned, hockey fans.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)