Jul 19, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
It looks like our long hockey nightmare is over.
Less than an hour after Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman said the winger would make his decision “for sure this time” today, the New Jersey Devils’ official Twitter account announced that he would be a member of their team. Here’s a screen capture of the Tweet for posterity.
Obviously it’s early on and the team said it will announce the signing on Tuesday, so financial terms might be a little slim for a bit. Devils beat writer Tom Gulitti confirmed the team report, if that helps you sleep at night/at your cubicle right now. Our Joe Yerdon also backs it up after Grossman’s Puck Agency put up a story on the subject, too.
While some think of it as a “kick to the nuts” for Los Angeles Kings fans, it will all come down to how much money drops into Kovalchuk’s lap. The elite sniper will come at a cost to the Devils, no doubt about it, and some think that he might even make it difficult for the team to retain its other talented left winger Zach Parise.
Naturally, we’ll update you with more information on the Kovalchuk signing as information comes through. That will include a look at the salary cap impact, what the signing will mean for the balance of power in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic division and more. We’ll also keep an eye on possible “domino effect” signings as the Alex Frolovs of the world make their decisions. Stay tuned, hockey fans.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 6
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)