Jul 19, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
It looks like our long hockey nightmare is over.
Less than an hour after Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman said the winger would make his decision “for sure this time” today, the New Jersey Devils’ official Twitter account announced that he would be a member of their team. Here’s a screen capture of the Tweet for posterity.
Obviously it’s early on and the team said it will announce the signing on Tuesday, so financial terms might be a little slim for a bit. Devils beat writer Tom Gulitti confirmed the team report, if that helps you sleep at night/at your cubicle right now. Our Joe Yerdon also backs it up after Grossman’s Puck Agency put up a story on the subject, too.
While some think of it as a “kick to the nuts” for Los Angeles Kings fans, it will all come down to how much money drops into Kovalchuk’s lap. The elite sniper will come at a cost to the Devils, no doubt about it, and some think that he might even make it difficult for the team to retain its other talented left winger Zach Parise.
Naturally, we’ll update you with more information on the Kovalchuk signing as information comes through. That will include a look at the salary cap impact, what the signing will mean for the balance of power in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic division and more. We’ll also keep an eye on possible “domino effect” signings as the Alex Frolovs of the world make their decisions. Stay tuned, hockey fans.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)