Jul 19, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed former 2007 Edmonton Oilers draft pick Riley Nash to a three-year entry-level contract today. Not to be confused with Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash, Riley played with his sibling Brendan during a successful college hockey career at Cornell.
The Hurricanes have more on the signing.
Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed center Riley Nash to a three-year, entry-level contract. At the NHL level, the deal will pay Nash $550,000 in 2010-11, $600,000 in 2011-12, and $700,000 in 2012-13. He will be paid $65,000 on the AHL level in all three seasons, and receives a signing bonus of $262,500.
“Riley has excellent playmaking ability from the center position, and was a consistent point-producer at Cornell,” said Karmanos. “He’ll have an opportunity during training camp to earn a spot on our NHL roster.”
Edmonton failed to sign him so they traded his rights to Carolina, allowing the Hurricanes to add a player who could be a nice third or fourth liner as early as the 2010-11 season. Perhaps this has a bit to do with karma for the Hurricanes, who lost a would-be-defenseman-of-the-future in Jack Johnson a few years ago thanks largely to similar troubles.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)