Jul 19, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed former 2007 Edmonton Oilers draft pick Riley Nash to a three-year entry-level contract today. Not to be confused with Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash, Riley played with his sibling Brendan during a successful college hockey career at Cornell.
The Hurricanes have more on the signing.
Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed center Riley Nash to a three-year, entry-level contract. At the NHL level, the deal will pay Nash $550,000 in 2010-11, $600,000 in 2011-12, and $700,000 in 2012-13. He will be paid $65,000 on the AHL level in all three seasons, and receives a signing bonus of $262,500.
“Riley has excellent playmaking ability from the center position, and was a consistent point-producer at Cornell,” said Karmanos. “He’ll have an opportunity during training camp to earn a spot on our NHL roster.”
Edmonton failed to sign him so they traded his rights to Carolina, allowing the Hurricanes to add a player who could be a nice third or fourth liner as early as the 2010-11 season. Perhaps this has a bit to do with karma for the Hurricanes, who lost a would-be-defenseman-of-the-future in Jack Johnson a few years ago thanks largely to similar troubles.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)