Jul 19, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed former 2007 Edmonton Oilers draft pick Riley Nash to a three-year entry-level contract today. Not to be confused with Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash, Riley played with his sibling Brendan during a successful college hockey career at Cornell.
The Hurricanes have more on the signing.
Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed center Riley Nash to a three-year, entry-level contract. At the NHL level, the deal will pay Nash $550,000 in 2010-11, $600,000 in 2011-12, and $700,000 in 2012-13. He will be paid $65,000 on the AHL level in all three seasons, and receives a signing bonus of $262,500.
“Riley has excellent playmaking ability from the center position, and was a consistent point-producer at Cornell,” said Karmanos. “He’ll have an opportunity during training camp to earn a spot on our NHL roster.”
Edmonton failed to sign him so they traded his rights to Carolina, allowing the Hurricanes to add a player who could be a nice third or fourth liner as early as the 2010-11 season. Perhaps this has a bit to do with karma for the Hurricanes, who lost a would-be-defenseman-of-the-future in Jack Johnson a few years ago thanks largely to similar troubles.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)