Jul 19, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed former 2007 Edmonton Oilers draft pick Riley Nash to a three-year entry-level contract today. Not to be confused with Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash, Riley played with his sibling Brendan during a successful college hockey career at Cornell.
The Hurricanes have more on the signing.
Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed center Riley Nash to a three-year, entry-level contract. At the NHL level, the deal will pay Nash $550,000 in 2010-11, $600,000 in 2011-12, and $700,000 in 2012-13. He will be paid $65,000 on the AHL level in all three seasons, and receives a signing bonus of $262,500.
“Riley has excellent playmaking ability from the center position, and was a consistent point-producer at Cornell,” said Karmanos. “He’ll have an opportunity during training camp to earn a spot on our NHL roster.”
Edmonton failed to sign him so they traded his rights to Carolina, allowing the Hurricanes to add a player who could be a nice third or fourth liner as early as the 2010-11 season. Perhaps this has a bit to do with karma for the Hurricanes, who lost a would-be-defenseman-of-the-future in Jack Johnson a few years ago thanks largely to similar troubles.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)