Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames’ last few seasons have been littered with some rather big mistakes. From overpaying Jay Bouwmeester to the puzzling signing of Olli Jokinen and getting next to nothing for fallen star Dion Phaneuf, it seems like the team can’t get out of its own way.
At least they know how to get “big” right, though. Take, for instance, Matt Pelech. The team signed the bruising defenseman to a one-year deal, according to TSN.
The Toronto native was limited to 42 games last season due to a blood clot disorder that forced him out of the Abbotsford Heat’s line-up for three months.
He returned late in the season and played in all 13 playoff games for the Flames’ affiliate in the American Hockey League.
Pelech saw his first NHL action in the 2008-09 season, playing five games with the Flames and recording three assists.
Pelech stands at 6’4″ and 220 lbs. and rightfully employs a very physical style. Really, you can tell he’s a pretty imposing person even from his mug shot at SBNation.com.
The team did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)