Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames’ last few seasons have been littered with some rather big mistakes. From overpaying Jay Bouwmeester to the puzzling signing of Olli Jokinen and getting next to nothing for fallen star Dion Phaneuf, it seems like the team can’t get out of its own way.
At least they know how to get “big” right, though. Take, for instance, Matt Pelech. The team signed the bruising defenseman to a one-year deal, according to TSN.
The Toronto native was limited to 42 games last season due to a blood clot disorder that forced him out of the Abbotsford Heat’s line-up for three months.
He returned late in the season and played in all 13 playoff games for the Flames’ affiliate in the American Hockey League.
Pelech saw his first NHL action in the 2008-09 season, playing five games with the Flames and recording three assists.
Pelech stands at 6’4″ and 220 lbs. and rightfully employs a very physical style. Really, you can tell he’s a pretty imposing person even from his mug shot at SBNation.com.
The team did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)