Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames’ last few seasons have been littered with some rather big mistakes. From overpaying Jay Bouwmeester to the puzzling signing of Olli Jokinen and getting next to nothing for fallen star Dion Phaneuf, it seems like the team can’t get out of its own way.
At least they know how to get “big” right, though. Take, for instance, Matt Pelech. The team signed the bruising defenseman to a one-year deal, according to TSN.
The Toronto native was limited to 42 games last season due to a blood clot disorder that forced him out of the Abbotsford Heat’s line-up for three months.
He returned late in the season and played in all 13 playoff games for the Flames’ affiliate in the American Hockey League.
Pelech saw his first NHL action in the 2008-09 season, playing five games with the Flames and recording three assists.
Pelech stands at 6’4″ and 220 lbs. and rightfully employs a very physical style. Really, you can tell he’s a pretty imposing person even from his mug shot at SBNation.com.
The team did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)