Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The Calgary Flames’ last few seasons have been littered with some rather big mistakes. From overpaying Jay Bouwmeester to the puzzling signing of Olli Jokinen and getting next to nothing for fallen star Dion Phaneuf, it seems like the team can’t get out of its own way.
At least they know how to get “big” right, though. Take, for instance, Matt Pelech. The team signed the bruising defenseman to a one-year deal, according to TSN.
The Toronto native was limited to 42 games last season due to a blood clot disorder that forced him out of the Abbotsford Heat’s line-up for three months.
He returned late in the season and played in all 13 playoff games for the Flames’ affiliate in the American Hockey League.
Pelech saw his first NHL action in the 2008-09 season, playing five games with the Flames and recording three assists.
Pelech stands at 6’4″ and 220 lbs. and rightfully employs a very physical style. Really, you can tell he’s a pretty imposing person even from his mug shot at SBNation.com.
The team did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)