Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The Calgary Flames’ last few seasons have been littered with some rather big mistakes. From overpaying Jay Bouwmeester to the puzzling signing of Olli Jokinen and getting next to nothing for fallen star Dion Phaneuf, it seems like the team can’t get out of its own way.
At least they know how to get “big” right, though. Take, for instance, Matt Pelech. The team signed the bruising defenseman to a one-year deal, according to TSN.
The Toronto native was limited to 42 games last season due to a blood clot disorder that forced him out of the Abbotsford Heat’s line-up for three months.
He returned late in the season and played in all 13 playoff games for the Flames’ affiliate in the American Hockey League.
Pelech saw his first NHL action in the 2008-09 season, playing five games with the Flames and recording three assists.
Pelech stands at 6’4″ and 220 lbs. and rightfully employs a very physical style. Really, you can tell he’s a pretty imposing person even from his mug shot at SBNation.com.
The team did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)