Jul 18, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The key figure in the trade that sent Kris Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs was clearly Kris Versteeg himself, although as it stands now he’ll be the only guy that the Leafs will have to show for that deal. The Leafs sent Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis to Chicago for Versteeg and Colorado College winger Bill Sweatt. As it turns out, Sweatt won’t become a Maple Leaf at all as the Edmonton Sun tells us.
We heard Billy Sweatt was lightning quick and now he’s gone in a flash. The Colorado College speedster’s career as a Maple Leafs is over before it ever started.
Frustrated by the Leafs inability to sign the former Blackhawks prospect, general manager Brian Burke told Sweatt and his Chicago-based on Friday — nicely we’re sure — to take a hike.
“In light of the signing of Marcel Mueller, we are withdrawing all offers to Bill Sweatt,” Burke said in an e-mail to the Sun on Friday.
The Leafs aren’t losing him as part of some kind of trade-related shenanigans, instead rather they’re losing him because it’s been three years since he was drafted by the Blackhawks in the second round. Having gone that long without signing a pro deal, it allowed Sweatt to become a free agent. Sweatt just completed his playing career at Colorado College last season finishing his career with the WCHA team with 46 goals and 63 assists in four seasons.
As for the Leafs, the only way they end up looking bad out of this is if Versteeg tanks and Bill Sweatt becomes a superstar elsewhere. That shouldn’t happen… Right?
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)