Jul 18, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The key figure in the trade that sent Kris Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs was clearly Kris Versteeg himself, although as it stands now he’ll be the only guy that the Leafs will have to show for that deal. The Leafs sent Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis to Chicago for Versteeg and Colorado College winger Bill Sweatt. As it turns out, Sweatt won’t become a Maple Leaf at all as the Edmonton Sun tells us.
We heard Billy Sweatt was lightning quick and now he’s gone in a flash. The Colorado College speedster’s career as a Maple Leafs is over before it ever started.
Frustrated by the Leafs inability to sign the former Blackhawks prospect, general manager Brian Burke told Sweatt and his Chicago-based on Friday — nicely we’re sure — to take a hike.
“In light of the signing of Marcel Mueller, we are withdrawing all offers to Bill Sweatt,” Burke said in an e-mail to the Sun on Friday.
The Leafs aren’t losing him as part of some kind of trade-related shenanigans, instead rather they’re losing him because it’s been three years since he was drafted by the Blackhawks in the second round. Having gone that long without signing a pro deal, it allowed Sweatt to become a free agent. Sweatt just completed his playing career at Colorado College last season finishing his career with the WCHA team with 46 goals and 63 assists in four seasons.
As for the Leafs, the only way they end up looking bad out of this is if Versteeg tanks and Bill Sweatt becomes a superstar elsewhere. That shouldn’t happen… Right?
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)