Jul 18, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The key figure in the trade that sent Kris Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs was clearly Kris Versteeg himself, although as it stands now he’ll be the only guy that the Leafs will have to show for that deal. The Leafs sent Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis to Chicago for Versteeg and Colorado College winger Bill Sweatt. As it turns out, Sweatt won’t become a Maple Leaf at all as the Edmonton Sun tells us.
We heard Billy Sweatt was lightning quick and now he’s gone in a flash. The Colorado College speedster’s career as a Maple Leafs is over before it ever started.
Frustrated by the Leafs inability to sign the former Blackhawks prospect, general manager Brian Burke told Sweatt and his Chicago-based on Friday — nicely we’re sure — to take a hike.
“In light of the signing of Marcel Mueller, we are withdrawing all offers to Bill Sweatt,” Burke said in an e-mail to the Sun on Friday.
The Leafs aren’t losing him as part of some kind of trade-related shenanigans, instead rather they’re losing him because it’s been three years since he was drafted by the Blackhawks in the second round. Having gone that long without signing a pro deal, it allowed Sweatt to become a free agent. Sweatt just completed his playing career at Colorado College last season finishing his career with the WCHA team with 46 goals and 63 assists in four seasons.
As for the Leafs, the only way they end up looking bad out of this is if Versteeg tanks and Bill Sweatt becomes a superstar elsewhere. That shouldn’t happen… Right?
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)