Jul 18, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The key figure in the trade that sent Kris Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs was clearly Kris Versteeg himself, although as it stands now he’ll be the only guy that the Leafs will have to show for that deal. The Leafs sent Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis to Chicago for Versteeg and Colorado College winger Bill Sweatt. As it turns out, Sweatt won’t become a Maple Leaf at all as the Edmonton Sun tells us.
We heard Billy Sweatt was lightning quick and now he’s gone in a flash. The Colorado College speedster’s career as a Maple Leafs is over before it ever started.
Frustrated by the Leafs inability to sign the former Blackhawks prospect, general manager Brian Burke told Sweatt and his Chicago-based on Friday — nicely we’re sure — to take a hike.
“In light of the signing of Marcel Mueller, we are withdrawing all offers to Bill Sweatt,” Burke said in an e-mail to the Sun on Friday.
The Leafs aren’t losing him as part of some kind of trade-related shenanigans, instead rather they’re losing him because it’s been three years since he was drafted by the Blackhawks in the second round. Having gone that long without signing a pro deal, it allowed Sweatt to become a free agent. Sweatt just completed his playing career at Colorado College last season finishing his career with the WCHA team with 46 goals and 63 assists in four seasons.
As for the Leafs, the only way they end up looking bad out of this is if Versteeg tanks and Bill Sweatt becomes a superstar elsewhere. That shouldn’t happen… Right?
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)