Jul 18, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The key figure in the trade that sent Kris Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs was clearly Kris Versteeg himself, although as it stands now he’ll be the only guy that the Leafs will have to show for that deal. The Leafs sent Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis to Chicago for Versteeg and Colorado College winger Bill Sweatt. As it turns out, Sweatt won’t become a Maple Leaf at all as the Edmonton Sun tells us.
We heard Billy Sweatt was lightning quick and now he’s gone in a flash. The Colorado College speedster’s career as a Maple Leafs is over before it ever started.
Frustrated by the Leafs inability to sign the former Blackhawks prospect, general manager Brian Burke told Sweatt and his Chicago-based on Friday — nicely we’re sure — to take a hike.
“In light of the signing of Marcel Mueller, we are withdrawing all offers to Bill Sweatt,” Burke said in an e-mail to the Sun on Friday.
The Leafs aren’t losing him as part of some kind of trade-related shenanigans, instead rather they’re losing him because it’s been three years since he was drafted by the Blackhawks in the second round. Having gone that long without signing a pro deal, it allowed Sweatt to become a free agent. Sweatt just completed his playing career at Colorado College last season finishing his career with the WCHA team with 46 goals and 63 assists in four seasons.
As for the Leafs, the only way they end up looking bad out of this is if Versteeg tanks and Bill Sweatt becomes a superstar elsewhere. That shouldn’t happen… Right?
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)