Jul 18, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
We’ve already covered the signings of Marc-Andre Cliche and Brad Richardson earlier this weekend, but the Los Angeles Kings wrapped up five forwards overall this weekend. TSN reports that the team re-signed Corey Elkins, Rich Clune and Trevor Lewis as well.
Clune earned two assists and 26 penalty minutes in 14 regular season games with the Kings this past season, his first in the NHL. He also recorded five penalty minutes in four playoff games with the Kings. The 5-10, 198-pound native of Toronto spent the bulk of the season with the American Hockey League’s Manchester Monarchs, accumulating 14 points and 126 penalty minutes in 44 games.
Lewis began the 2009-10 season with the Kings and recorded zero points and zero penalty minutes in five games. He was assigned to Manchester and registered seven points and six penalty minutes in 23 regular season games. Lewis suffered an upper body injury Nov. 11 and missed 47 games. The 6-0, 199-pound native of Salt Lake City had nine points, 10 penalty minutes and a team-leading 52 shots in 16 playoff games, helping the Monarchs advance to the AHL’s Eastern Conference Finals.
Elkins had one goal in three games with the Kings this past season, his first in the NHL. The 6-3, 216-pound native of West Bloomfield, Mich. recorded 43 points and 24 penalty minutes in 73 regular season games with Manchester. His 43 points was second on Manchester and first among club rookies (10th among AHL rookies).
Obviously, these moves pale in comparison to the decision the Kings/Ilya Kovalchuk will make in the next weeks (or heaven forbid, months).
That being said, GM Dean Lombardi’s slow-but-steady approach is producing some nice results so far. Naturally, adding Kovalchuk would accelerate the process to “Win Now” but Kings fans can be forgiven if they’re starting to look at it like a win/win situation.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)