Jul 17, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
Do you know where the puck that Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane put past Flyers goaltender Michael Leighton is? If you guessed that it’s still stuck in the back of the net you’re very hilarious and should seek a career on the stand-up comedy circuit. Seriously though, if you happen to know who has it or where it is, Harry Caray’s Restaurant in Chicago has an offer that you might not want to refuse.
The Blackhawks have challenged Grant DePorter, president of Harry Caray’s Restaurant Group, to find the treasured memento.
“Harry Caray’s restaurants is putting out a $50,000 offer to buy that puck — as long as it can be authenticated as to being the actual puck,” DePorter told us.
He gained notoriety six years ago when he paid $113,824.16 and then had the so-called Bartman Ball, which was then detonated on live TV.
It’s not quite like one of Willy Wonka’s golden tickets but where did the most famous chunk of vulcanized rubber in Chicago history end up? Good question. Right after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, Chris Kuc from Chicago Breaking Sports wondered aloud about the whereabouts of the puck.
Kane scored against goaltender Michael Leighton early in overtime and while others wondered if the puck had gone and the game and series was over, the winger raced down the ice shedding equipment in celebration.
“I’m actually surprised they scooped up everything I threw on the ice,” Kane said. “My gloves, my stick, my helmet and mouthpiece. I remember throwing that but I’m surprised they found everything.”
Still, there’s the matter of that famous puck.
“It’s something you probably want to get your hands on for sure,” Kane added. “A memory like that is something I’ll never forget. It would be fun to have some things you’d look back on and remember.”
The search is on, and if nothing else, I’d start asking around to the Philadelphia ice crew to see if, perhaps, they enacted one last piece of revenge on behalf of the original puck burglar, Chris Pronger.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 6
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 22
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)