Jul 17, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
Do you know where the puck that Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane put past Flyers goaltender Michael Leighton is? If you guessed that it’s still stuck in the back of the net you’re very hilarious and should seek a career on the stand-up comedy circuit. Seriously though, if you happen to know who has it or where it is, Harry Caray’s Restaurant in Chicago has an offer that you might not want to refuse.
The Blackhawks have challenged Grant DePorter, president of Harry Caray’s Restaurant Group, to find the treasured memento.
“Harry Caray’s restaurants is putting out a $50,000 offer to buy that puck — as long as it can be authenticated as to being the actual puck,” DePorter told us.
He gained notoriety six years ago when he paid $113,824.16 and then had the so-called Bartman Ball, which was then detonated on live TV.
It’s not quite like one of Willy Wonka’s golden tickets but where did the most famous chunk of vulcanized rubber in Chicago history end up? Good question. Right after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, Chris Kuc from Chicago Breaking Sports wondered aloud about the whereabouts of the puck.
Kane scored against goaltender Michael Leighton early in overtime and while others wondered if the puck had gone and the game and series was over, the winger raced down the ice shedding equipment in celebration.
“I’m actually surprised they scooped up everything I threw on the ice,” Kane said. “My gloves, my stick, my helmet and mouthpiece. I remember throwing that but I’m surprised they found everything.”
Still, there’s the matter of that famous puck.
“It’s something you probably want to get your hands on for sure,” Kane added. “A memory like that is something I’ll never forget. It would be fun to have some things you’d look back on and remember.”
The search is on, and if nothing else, I’d start asking around to the Philadelphia ice crew to see if, perhaps, they enacted one last piece of revenge on behalf of the original puck burglar, Chris Pronger.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)