Jul 17, 2010, 10:07 PM EST
Do you know where the puck that Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane put past Flyers goaltender Michael Leighton is? If you guessed that it’s still stuck in the back of the net you’re very hilarious and should seek a career on the stand-up comedy circuit. Seriously though, if you happen to know who has it or where it is, Harry Caray’s Restaurant in Chicago has an offer that you might not want to refuse.
The Blackhawks have challenged Grant DePorter, president of Harry Caray’s Restaurant Group, to find the treasured memento.
“Harry Caray’s restaurants is putting out a $50,000 offer to buy that puck — as long as it can be authenticated as to being the actual puck,” DePorter told us.
He gained notoriety six years ago when he paid $113,824.16 and then had the so-called Bartman Ball, which was then detonated on live TV.
It’s not quite like one of Willy Wonka’s golden tickets but where did the most famous chunk of vulcanized rubber in Chicago history end up? Good question. Right after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, Chris Kuc from Chicago Breaking Sports wondered aloud about the whereabouts of the puck.
Kane scored against goaltender Michael Leighton early in overtime and while others wondered if the puck had gone and the game and series was over, the winger raced down the ice shedding equipment in celebration.
“I’m actually surprised they scooped up everything I threw on the ice,” Kane said. “My gloves, my stick, my helmet and mouthpiece. I remember throwing that but I’m surprised they found everything.”
Still, there’s the matter of that famous puck.
“It’s something you probably want to get your hands on for sure,” Kane added. “A memory like that is something I’ll never forget. It would be fun to have some things you’d look back on and remember.”
The search is on, and if nothing else, I’d start asking around to the Philadelphia ice crew to see if, perhaps, they enacted one last piece of revenge on behalf of the original puck burglar, Chris Pronger.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 6
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)