Jul 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings re-signed spirited forward Brad Richardson to a one-year, $900K contract according to Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider. This allows the Kings and Richardson to avoid the often-painful salary arbitration process.
Richardson had a career year in 09-10, benefiting from occasional spot duty alongside Anze Kopitar and Wayne Simmonds. He scored 11 goals and 16 assists for a personal best of 27 points while earning about two more minutes per game than he did with the Kings in 08-09.
He’s a pretty limited player considering the fact that he’s an “energy guy” at 5-11, but you really have to hand it to those “spark-plug” types. As the team waits to see what happens with Ilya Kovalchuk, it’s important to remember that their forward ranks are pretty light at the moment. CapGeek.com only lists eight other NHL-level forwards on their roster right now, although there’s a solid chance that prospects – particularly Oscar Moller and Brayden Schenn – could see some more time with the big club.
Richardson won’t set the world on fire, but he’s the kind of dirty work guy that can help a team win in subtle ways. That doesn’t necessarily make him very special, but GM Dean Lombardi feels like it at least makes him worth keeping around.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)