Jul 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings re-signed spirited forward Brad Richardson to a one-year, $900K contract according to Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider. This allows the Kings and Richardson to avoid the often-painful salary arbitration process.
Richardson had a career year in 09-10, benefiting from occasional spot duty alongside Anze Kopitar and Wayne Simmonds. He scored 11 goals and 16 assists for a personal best of 27 points while earning about two more minutes per game than he did with the Kings in 08-09.
He’s a pretty limited player considering the fact that he’s an “energy guy” at 5-11, but you really have to hand it to those “spark-plug” types. As the team waits to see what happens with Ilya Kovalchuk, it’s important to remember that their forward ranks are pretty light at the moment. CapGeek.com only lists eight other NHL-level forwards on their roster right now, although there’s a solid chance that prospects – particularly Oscar Moller and Brayden Schenn – could see some more time with the big club.
Richardson won’t set the world on fire, but he’s the kind of dirty work guy that can help a team win in subtle ways. That doesn’t necessarily make him very special, but GM Dean Lombardi feels like it at least makes him worth keeping around.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 0
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 24
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 26
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming