Jul 16, 2010, 10:40 PM EDT
We’ve heard scuttlebutt about the talks heating up between Ilya Kovalchuk and the Los Angeles Kings before. At this point, it’s like Cold War-era kids getting ready for a fire drill; you know what to do. Take everything with a grain of salt.
The latest rumor is that the Kings and Kovalchuk are boiling things down to no-trade clauses and other “fine print” details. Here is the latest bit from Craig Custance at The Sporting News.
There have been false alarms before, but it’s looking like Ilya Kovalchuk is finally closing in on a deal with the Los Angeles Kings.
According to the LA Times’ Helene Elliott, a contract between the Russian superstar and the Kings isn’t finalized but the two sides are down to working out details like how iron-clad a possible no-movement clause would be.
Rich Hammond, who covers the Kings for the team website, points out that team governor Tim Leiweke is in Europe this week which could lead to delays in getting any long-term deal approved. But like Elliott, Hammond wrote that indications are that the two sides are close to finalizing a contract.
Those are good sources, even if they’re far from hasty when it comes to calling the deal close to done.
The Kings and the New Jersey Devils have been the frontrunners since day one (it’s day, what, four thousand now?), so it’s hard to call this “news.” Still, we’ll keep you up to date. If something breaks in the talks, we’ll let you know.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)