Jul 16, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
While Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning announced the signing of new assistant GM Julian BriseBois, the Montreal Canadiens also brought on a new right-hand man for Pierre Gauthier. The team appointed Larry Carrière, formerly of the Washington Capitals and Buffalo Sabres, as their new assistant general manager today.
Larry Carrière was a member of the Washington Capitals organization since 2004 as pro scout. He spent the previous two decades with the Buffalo Sabres, handling the duties of Assistant General Manager from 1995 to 2004 (including a brief stint as General Manager in 1997). With the Sabres, he also worked as Director of Player Evaluation (1993 to 1995), as well as amateur scout (1983 to 1993).
“I am very pleased to join the Montreal Canadiens organization. Having grown up in the Montreal boroughs of Parc-Extension and Ville St-Laurent, I am grateful for this opportunity to bring my experience to the Canadiens. I have a great deal of respect for the tradition of the organization, and the passion of its fan base. I look forward to this new challenge, and will do my best to contribute to the success of the Canadiens for many years to come “, said Larry Carrière.
During his tenure with the Capitals, the team won the President’s Cup in 2010, and the AHL affiliate team, the Hershey Bears, captured the Calder Cup on three separate occasions (2010, 2009 and 2006). While with the Sabres organization in the position of Assistant General Manager, the Rochester Americans also won the Calder Cup in 1996.
That’s quite the pedigree. It’s also a common tactic in sports; once a team generates proven success, other clubs rush to poach the best and brightest (or at least those who seem like they’re the best and brightest) to try to emulate that success.
Now, to get that pesky Carey Price signed …
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)