Jul 16, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
While Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning announced the signing of new assistant GM Julian BriseBois, the Montreal Canadiens also brought on a new right-hand man for Pierre Gauthier. The team appointed Larry Carrière, formerly of the Washington Capitals and Buffalo Sabres, as their new assistant general manager today.
Larry Carrière was a member of the Washington Capitals organization since 2004 as pro scout. He spent the previous two decades with the Buffalo Sabres, handling the duties of Assistant General Manager from 1995 to 2004 (including a brief stint as General Manager in 1997). With the Sabres, he also worked as Director of Player Evaluation (1993 to 1995), as well as amateur scout (1983 to 1993).
“I am very pleased to join the Montreal Canadiens organization. Having grown up in the Montreal boroughs of Parc-Extension and Ville St-Laurent, I am grateful for this opportunity to bring my experience to the Canadiens. I have a great deal of respect for the tradition of the organization, and the passion of its fan base. I look forward to this new challenge, and will do my best to contribute to the success of the Canadiens for many years to come “, said Larry Carrière.
During his tenure with the Capitals, the team won the President’s Cup in 2010, and the AHL affiliate team, the Hershey Bears, captured the Calder Cup on three separate occasions (2010, 2009 and 2006). While with the Sabres organization in the position of Assistant General Manager, the Rochester Americans also won the Calder Cup in 1996.
That’s quite the pedigree. It’s also a common tactic in sports; once a team generates proven success, other clubs rush to poach the best and brightest (or at least those who seem like they’re the best and brightest) to try to emulate that success.
Now, to get that pesky Carey Price signed …
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)