Jul 16, 2010, 7:40 PM EST
Starting in July, Alex Ovechkin became an official member of KHL team UHC Dynamo. Is this the NHL/Washington Capitals’ worst nightmare? No, not exactly, because he won’t be playing for the team.
Mikhail Tyurkin, UHC Dynamo’s president, told Sovetsky Sport, “Alex has already called me. He is now my official advisor. He is now employed by UHC Dynamo.
July 1 was the official date Ovechkin became a team employee. “Alex will work on promoting our club. And he will also work with children from our hockey school. He will hold a few master-classes. I think that famous people like Ovechkin should bring value not only to NHL teams, but to Russia as well, especially to the club that brought him up,” Tyurkin said.
It is understood that Ovechkin has already made a few suggestions to the club in his official position.
“We discussed a number of issues regarding the KHL. I was interested in his opinion on certain nuances that we should take from the NHL. With me being a member of the board of directors of the KHL, we had a long discussion. We also agreed that he will run a few joint practices with our players. In addition, Alex offered to help out young Dynamo players as a sponsor. Right now we are discussing how to best approach this – to help out our youth hockey school with equipment.”
Chesnokov reports that rather than being a volunteer, Ovechkin will be paid a “nominal” fee. I imagine with Ovechkin’s many endorsements and near-$10 million annual salary, money’s probably not a big factor in this situation.
Perhaps, instead, Ovechkin would like to be a front office figure either in the NHL or the KHL in the future? It’s reasonable for the superstar to ponder such things – even as such a young man – since his contractual needs will be met for some time.
Breathe easy, the Great 8 isn’t going to leave the NHL anytime soon. You have to wonder if Tyurkin is whispering in his ears about spending his swan song years in the KHL, though.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)