Jul 16, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Starting in July, Alex Ovechkin became an official member of KHL team UHC Dynamo. Is this the NHL/Washington Capitals’ worst nightmare? No, not exactly, because he won’t be playing for the team.
Mikhail Tyurkin, UHC Dynamo’s president, told Sovetsky Sport, “Alex has already called me. He is now my official advisor. He is now employed by UHC Dynamo.
July 1 was the official date Ovechkin became a team employee. “Alex will work on promoting our club. And he will also work with children from our hockey school. He will hold a few master-classes. I think that famous people like Ovechkin should bring value not only to NHL teams, but to Russia as well, especially to the club that brought him up,” Tyurkin said.
It is understood that Ovechkin has already made a few suggestions to the club in his official position.
“We discussed a number of issues regarding the KHL. I was interested in his opinion on certain nuances that we should take from the NHL. With me being a member of the board of directors of the KHL, we had a long discussion. We also agreed that he will run a few joint practices with our players. In addition, Alex offered to help out young Dynamo players as a sponsor. Right now we are discussing how to best approach this – to help out our youth hockey school with equipment.”
Chesnokov reports that rather than being a volunteer, Ovechkin will be paid a “nominal” fee. I imagine with Ovechkin’s many endorsements and near-$10 million annual salary, money’s probably not a big factor in this situation.
Perhaps, instead, Ovechkin would like to be a front office figure either in the NHL or the KHL in the future? It’s reasonable for the superstar to ponder such things – even as such a young man – since his contractual needs will be met for some time.
Breathe easy, the Great 8 isn’t going to leave the NHL anytime soon. You have to wonder if Tyurkin is whispering in his ears about spending his swan song years in the KHL, though.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 3
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39