Jul 16, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Starting in July, Alex Ovechkin became an official member of KHL team UHC Dynamo. Is this the NHL/Washington Capitals’ worst nightmare? No, not exactly, because he won’t be playing for the team.
Mikhail Tyurkin, UHC Dynamo’s president, told Sovetsky Sport, “Alex has already called me. He is now my official advisor. He is now employed by UHC Dynamo.
July 1 was the official date Ovechkin became a team employee. “Alex will work on promoting our club. And he will also work with children from our hockey school. He will hold a few master-classes. I think that famous people like Ovechkin should bring value not only to NHL teams, but to Russia as well, especially to the club that brought him up,” Tyurkin said.
It is understood that Ovechkin has already made a few suggestions to the club in his official position.
“We discussed a number of issues regarding the KHL. I was interested in his opinion on certain nuances that we should take from the NHL. With me being a member of the board of directors of the KHL, we had a long discussion. We also agreed that he will run a few joint practices with our players. In addition, Alex offered to help out young Dynamo players as a sponsor. Right now we are discussing how to best approach this – to help out our youth hockey school with equipment.”
Chesnokov reports that rather than being a volunteer, Ovechkin will be paid a “nominal” fee. I imagine with Ovechkin’s many endorsements and near-$10 million annual salary, money’s probably not a big factor in this situation.
Perhaps, instead, Ovechkin would like to be a front office figure either in the NHL or the KHL in the future? It’s reasonable for the superstar to ponder such things – even as such a young man – since his contractual needs will be met for some time.
Breathe easy, the Great 8 isn’t going to leave the NHL anytime soon. You have to wonder if Tyurkin is whispering in his ears about spending his swan song years in the KHL, though.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 0
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 52
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)