Jul 16, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
If you’ve been keeping a list of all the players eligible for arbitration hearings, (why wouldn’t you be you’re a crazy fan, right?) you can cross off one more name from your list. Damian Cristodero from the St. Petersburg Times spills the details.
The Tampa Bay Lightning avoided arbitration with Nate Thompson by signing the center to a one-year, $625,000 deal.
Thompson, 25, had a goal and four points in 32 games for Tampa Bay after being claimed off waivers in January from the Islanders.
Thompson is a grinder in the most perfect sense of the word. He’ll throw the body around, he’ll drop the gloves, he’ll get into the dirty areas. He’s fun that way. Plug him into the third or fourth line and he’ll do all the rest. One thing he may have to do more of is fight as last year’s super scrapper, Zenon Konopka, is now a member of the Islanders.
As the names come off that arbitration list and potential dates for hearings are squared away, we’ll see how much more interesting things get and if we’ll have any arduous court cases to get the fallout from. The biggest name on that list still waiting to sign, of course, is Chicago’s Antti Niemi.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)