Jul 16, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
If you’ve been keeping a list of all the players eligible for arbitration hearings, (why wouldn’t you be you’re a crazy fan, right?) you can cross off one more name from your list. Damian Cristodero from the St. Petersburg Times spills the details.
The Tampa Bay Lightning avoided arbitration with Nate Thompson by signing the center to a one-year, $625,000 deal.
Thompson, 25, had a goal and four points in 32 games for Tampa Bay after being claimed off waivers in January from the Islanders.
Thompson is a grinder in the most perfect sense of the word. He’ll throw the body around, he’ll drop the gloves, he’ll get into the dirty areas. He’s fun that way. Plug him into the third or fourth line and he’ll do all the rest. One thing he may have to do more of is fight as last year’s super scrapper, Zenon Konopka, is now a member of the Islanders.
As the names come off that arbitration list and potential dates for hearings are squared away, we’ll see how much more interesting things get and if we’ll have any arduous court cases to get the fallout from. The biggest name on that list still waiting to sign, of course, is Chicago’s Antti Niemi.
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 1
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 14
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights