Jul 15, 2010, 11:15 PM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov becomes a Canadian – See what Joe did there? Nicely done.
Are the Lightning eyeballing Simon Gagne? – Why not? I mean, he’s a handsome ma-oh, oops.
The return of Nikita Filatov – Hopefully this means my proposed “La Femme Nikita” nickname will take off. It’s not about being derogatory, just about the dopiest pun possible, folks.
What if … The Oilers didn’t match that Thomas Vanek offer sheet? – I’m a sucker for hypothetical situations (and space/time paradoxes, for that matter).
Blackhawks re-sign Jack Skille – So many puns for his last name, although most of them involve the way it’s spelled rather than the way it’s pronounced …
Leafs sign trio destined for AHL – He might not do much else, but Mike Zigomanis sure can win a face-off. More than half of them, actually.
Hurricanes to retire Rod Brind’Amour’s number – His grit, leadership and ridiculous face-off winning abilities will be missed. And not just in video games, either.
Pavol Demitra headed for KHL – Seems about right.
Minnesota signs Mikko Koivu to richest deal in Wild history – Just because someone is overpaid doesn’t mean they’re “bad.” That’s only the case with guys like Wade Redden.
Bruins sign Greg Campbell for about twice what he’s worth – Boston is good at making solid trades but signing their players? Yeah, that’s a weak spot.
Chris Bourque expected to join the KHL – Probably for the best for a kid who has the good/bad fortune of being the son of Ray Bourque.
What about Willie Mitchell? – Not to be confused with “Slick Willie.”
Controversy abounds over Jonathan Toews Lake – I must admit, I didn’t see this one coming.
Gilbert Brule’s charitable work stands out – Sad, but heartwarming story about Brule’s charitable work.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)