Jul 15, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov becomes a Canadian – See what Joe did there? Nicely done.
Are the Lightning eyeballing Simon Gagne? – Why not? I mean, he’s a handsome ma-oh, oops.
The return of Nikita Filatov – Hopefully this means my proposed “La Femme Nikita” nickname will take off. It’s not about being derogatory, just about the dopiest pun possible, folks.
What if … The Oilers didn’t match that Thomas Vanek offer sheet? – I’m a sucker for hypothetical situations (and space/time paradoxes, for that matter).
Blackhawks re-sign Jack Skille – So many puns for his last name, although most of them involve the way it’s spelled rather than the way it’s pronounced …
Leafs sign trio destined for AHL – He might not do much else, but Mike Zigomanis sure can win a face-off. More than half of them, actually.
Hurricanes to retire Rod Brind’Amour’s number – His grit, leadership and ridiculous face-off winning abilities will be missed. And not just in video games, either.
Pavol Demitra headed for KHL – Seems about right.
Minnesota signs Mikko Koivu to richest deal in Wild history – Just because someone is overpaid doesn’t mean they’re “bad.” That’s only the case with guys like Wade Redden.
Bruins sign Greg Campbell for about twice what he’s worth – Boston is good at making solid trades but signing their players? Yeah, that’s a weak spot.
Chris Bourque expected to join the KHL – Probably for the best for a kid who has the good/bad fortune of being the son of Ray Bourque.
What about Willie Mitchell? – Not to be confused with “Slick Willie.”
Controversy abounds over Jonathan Toews Lake – I must admit, I didn’t see this one coming.
Gilbert Brule’s charitable work stands out – Sad, but heartwarming story about Brule’s charitable work.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)