Jul 15, 2010, 11:15 PM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov becomes a Canadian – See what Joe did there? Nicely done.
Are the Lightning eyeballing Simon Gagne? – Why not? I mean, he’s a handsome ma-oh, oops.
The return of Nikita Filatov – Hopefully this means my proposed “La Femme Nikita” nickname will take off. It’s not about being derogatory, just about the dopiest pun possible, folks.
What if … The Oilers didn’t match that Thomas Vanek offer sheet? – I’m a sucker for hypothetical situations (and space/time paradoxes, for that matter).
Blackhawks re-sign Jack Skille – So many puns for his last name, although most of them involve the way it’s spelled rather than the way it’s pronounced …
Leafs sign trio destined for AHL – He might not do much else, but Mike Zigomanis sure can win a face-off. More than half of them, actually.
Hurricanes to retire Rod Brind’Amour’s number – His grit, leadership and ridiculous face-off winning abilities will be missed. And not just in video games, either.
Pavol Demitra headed for KHL – Seems about right.
Minnesota signs Mikko Koivu to richest deal in Wild history – Just because someone is overpaid doesn’t mean they’re “bad.” That’s only the case with guys like Wade Redden.
Bruins sign Greg Campbell for about twice what he’s worth – Boston is good at making solid trades but signing their players? Yeah, that’s a weak spot.
Chris Bourque expected to join the KHL – Probably for the best for a kid who has the good/bad fortune of being the son of Ray Bourque.
What about Willie Mitchell? – Not to be confused with “Slick Willie.”
Controversy abounds over Jonathan Toews Lake – I must admit, I didn’t see this one coming.
Gilbert Brule’s charitable work stands out – Sad, but heartwarming story about Brule’s charitable work.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)