Jul 15, 2010, 4:06 PM EST
Pavol Demitra’s run in the NHL appears to be at an end. The former Vancouver Canucks forward is headed to Russia according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Pavol Demitra has signed a one-year contract with Yaroslavl of the KHL, agent Matt Keator confirms to ESPN.com
With Demitra headed to the KHL, that removes another veteran NHL forward from the free agency pool for teams to pick from. Demitra’s recent NHL career has been one fraught with inconsistent play and a bromance-like connection to fellow Slovak Marian Gaborik. Overall, Demitra has been a steady performer being a consistent 25-35 goal scorer with the St. Louis Blues in the late 90s. Injuries have kept Demitra from being an über-reliable player over his career. In his 16 (!) seasons in the NHL, Demitra has played a full 82-game schedule just twice.
This year, while it seemed that Demitra’s career was really starting to wind down, he found a second wind during the 2010 Winter Olympics, helping Slovakia to reach the bronze medal game, only to lose to Finland. In the seven games Slovakia played in the Olympics, Demitra had three goals and seven assists and was, by far, one of the team’s best players. That great play didn’t find a way back into the NHL, however, and many teams seemed reticent to give an oft-injured, yet talented forward a shot to give it another go.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)