Jul 15, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
Pavol Demitra’s run in the NHL appears to be at an end. The former Vancouver Canucks forward is headed to Russia according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Pavol Demitra has signed a one-year contract with Yaroslavl of the KHL, agent Matt Keator confirms to ESPN.com
With Demitra headed to the KHL, that removes another veteran NHL forward from the free agency pool for teams to pick from. Demitra’s recent NHL career has been one fraught with inconsistent play and a bromance-like connection to fellow Slovak Marian Gaborik. Overall, Demitra has been a steady performer being a consistent 25-35 goal scorer with the St. Louis Blues in the late 90s. Injuries have kept Demitra from being an über-reliable player over his career. In his 16 (!) seasons in the NHL, Demitra has played a full 82-game schedule just twice.
This year, while it seemed that Demitra’s career was really starting to wind down, he found a second wind during the 2010 Winter Olympics, helping Slovakia to reach the bronze medal game, only to lose to Finland. In the seven games Slovakia played in the Olympics, Demitra had three goals and seven assists and was, by far, one of the team’s best players. That great play didn’t find a way back into the NHL, however, and many teams seemed reticent to give an oft-injured, yet talented forward a shot to give it another go.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 0
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 3
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)