Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM EST
While Gilbert Brule struggles to distinguish himself on the ice, he’s standing out when it comes to his charitable efforts. The Edmonton OIlers forward cut his vacation short and donated a considerable amount of money (and time) to help a two-year-old boy named Maddox Flynn in his fight against lymphatic cystic hydroma.
The blog Hey Edmonton has more on the story.
In May, Gilbert was one of many people who donated to a fund that saw 2 year old Maddox Flynn sent to New York for Facial surgery to help deal with his lymphatic cystic hydroma. $10,000 was his contribution.
Now, next week Maddox is expected to undergo the second and final facial surgery. Brule, who kept in contact with the Flynn’s since his donation continued to show how big his heart is when he decided to plan an entire trip to NYC specifically to see Maddox before he heads in for the next surgery.
“When I heard he was going back for another surgery … I thought, ‘We might as well go there when he’s there and make a trip of it,’ ” he said. “Hopefully I can help his day out a little bit and bring him some gifts.”
It’s one thing to donate money to a cause, but it seems like Brule is getting involved in helping the young child in his recovery. While Flynn’s condition is sad, Brule should be commended for his genuine interest in helping someone in the community.
(H/T to Copper & Blue.)
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)