Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
While Gilbert Brule struggles to distinguish himself on the ice, he’s standing out when it comes to his charitable efforts. The Edmonton OIlers forward cut his vacation short and donated a considerable amount of money (and time) to help a two-year-old boy named Maddox Flynn in his fight against lymphatic cystic hydroma.
The blog Hey Edmonton has more on the story.
In May, Gilbert was one of many people who donated to a fund that saw 2 year old Maddox Flynn sent to New York for Facial surgery to help deal with his lymphatic cystic hydroma. $10,000 was his contribution.
Now, next week Maddox is expected to undergo the second and final facial surgery. Brule, who kept in contact with the Flynn’s since his donation continued to show how big his heart is when he decided to plan an entire trip to NYC specifically to see Maddox before he heads in for the next surgery.
“When I heard he was going back for another surgery … I thought, ‘We might as well go there when he’s there and make a trip of it,’ ” he said. “Hopefully I can help his day out a little bit and bring him some gifts.”
It’s one thing to donate money to a cause, but it seems like Brule is getting involved in helping the young child in his recovery. While Flynn’s condition is sad, Brule should be commended for his genuine interest in helping someone in the community.
(H/T to Copper & Blue.)
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)