Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
While Gilbert Brule struggles to distinguish himself on the ice, he’s standing out when it comes to his charitable efforts. The Edmonton OIlers forward cut his vacation short and donated a considerable amount of money (and time) to help a two-year-old boy named Maddox Flynn in his fight against lymphatic cystic hydroma.
The blog Hey Edmonton has more on the story.
In May, Gilbert was one of many people who donated to a fund that saw 2 year old Maddox Flynn sent to New York for Facial surgery to help deal with his lymphatic cystic hydroma. $10,000 was his contribution.
Now, next week Maddox is expected to undergo the second and final facial surgery. Brule, who kept in contact with the Flynn’s since his donation continued to show how big his heart is when he decided to plan an entire trip to NYC specifically to see Maddox before he heads in for the next surgery.
“When I heard he was going back for another surgery … I thought, ‘We might as well go there when he’s there and make a trip of it,’ ” he said. “Hopefully I can help his day out a little bit and bring him some gifts.”
It’s one thing to donate money to a cause, but it seems like Brule is getting involved in helping the young child in his recovery. While Flynn’s condition is sad, Brule should be commended for his genuine interest in helping someone in the community.
(H/T to Copper & Blue.)
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38