Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
While Gilbert Brule struggles to distinguish himself on the ice, he’s standing out when it comes to his charitable efforts. The Edmonton OIlers forward cut his vacation short and donated a considerable amount of money (and time) to help a two-year-old boy named Maddox Flynn in his fight against lymphatic cystic hydroma.
The blog Hey Edmonton has more on the story.
In May, Gilbert was one of many people who donated to a fund that saw 2 year old Maddox Flynn sent to New York for Facial surgery to help deal with his lymphatic cystic hydroma. $10,000 was his contribution.
Now, next week Maddox is expected to undergo the second and final facial surgery. Brule, who kept in contact with the Flynn’s since his donation continued to show how big his heart is when he decided to plan an entire trip to NYC specifically to see Maddox before he heads in for the next surgery.
“When I heard he was going back for another surgery … I thought, ‘We might as well go there when he’s there and make a trip of it,’ ” he said. “Hopefully I can help his day out a little bit and bring him some gifts.”
It’s one thing to donate money to a cause, but it seems like Brule is getting involved in helping the young child in his recovery. While Flynn’s condition is sad, Brule should be commended for his genuine interest in helping someone in the community.
(H/T to Copper & Blue.)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)