Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
While Gilbert Brule struggles to distinguish himself on the ice, he’s standing out when it comes to his charitable efforts. The Edmonton OIlers forward cut his vacation short and donated a considerable amount of money (and time) to help a two-year-old boy named Maddox Flynn in his fight against lymphatic cystic hydroma.
The blog Hey Edmonton has more on the story.
In May, Gilbert was one of many people who donated to a fund that saw 2 year old Maddox Flynn sent to New York for Facial surgery to help deal with his lymphatic cystic hydroma. $10,000 was his contribution.
Now, next week Maddox is expected to undergo the second and final facial surgery. Brule, who kept in contact with the Flynn’s since his donation continued to show how big his heart is when he decided to plan an entire trip to NYC specifically to see Maddox before he heads in for the next surgery.
“When I heard he was going back for another surgery … I thought, ‘We might as well go there when he’s there and make a trip of it,’ ” he said. “Hopefully I can help his day out a little bit and bring him some gifts.”
It’s one thing to donate money to a cause, but it seems like Brule is getting involved in helping the young child in his recovery. While Flynn’s condition is sad, Brule should be commended for his genuine interest in helping someone in the community.
(H/T to Copper & Blue.)
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)