Jul 15, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
If you recall back in April, there was one name that got a lot of mention during college hockey’s NCAA Tournament was RIT goaltender Jared DeMichiel. After all, he helped the low-ranked Tigers beat top-seeded Denver University as well as the University of New Hampshire to give the school their first berth in the Frozen Four. As it turns out, those efforts were enough to earn DeMichiel a shot at making it in the pros.
Jared DeMichiel has taken the next step in his hockey career. On Wednesday, the former RIT goalie signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League.
DeMichiel was the key goaltender for RIT this past season, helping the Tigers to a school record of 27 wins and the school’s first ever trip to the NCAA Frozen Four.
Landing a deal with Hershey gives him a fair shot of trying to earn a job in the AHL, but in all likelihood he’ll end up in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays. The Caps AHL affiliate in Hershey already has Braden Holtby and veteran Dany Sabourin slated to play goal there this year so DeMichiel would have to be other-worldly to get a shot with the Bears.
This story is more about a kid from a small college getting a true shot to make it big. RIT isn’t exactly a college hockey powerhouse but if nothing else, the Caps organization has shown they’re not scared of former Tigers. Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto is a former Tiger himself. Best of luck to him as he tries to live the dream.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)