Jul 15, 2010, 1:00 AM EST
If you recall back in April, there was one name that got a lot of mention during college hockey’s NCAA Tournament was RIT goaltender Jared DeMichiel. After all, he helped the low-ranked Tigers beat top-seeded Denver University as well as the University of New Hampshire to give the school their first berth in the Frozen Four. As it turns out, those efforts were enough to earn DeMichiel a shot at making it in the pros.
Jared DeMichiel has taken the next step in his hockey career. On Wednesday, the former RIT goalie signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League.
DeMichiel was the key goaltender for RIT this past season, helping the Tigers to a school record of 27 wins and the school’s first ever trip to the NCAA Frozen Four.
Landing a deal with Hershey gives him a fair shot of trying to earn a job in the AHL, but in all likelihood he’ll end up in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays. The Caps AHL affiliate in Hershey already has Braden Holtby and veteran Dany Sabourin slated to play goal there this year so DeMichiel would have to be other-worldly to get a shot with the Bears.
This story is more about a kid from a small college getting a true shot to make it big. RIT isn’t exactly a college hockey powerhouse but if nothing else, the Caps organization has shown they’re not scared of former Tigers. Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto is a former Tiger himself. Best of luck to him as he tries to live the dream.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)