Jul 15, 2010, 1:00 AM EST
If you recall back in April, there was one name that got a lot of mention during college hockey’s NCAA Tournament was RIT goaltender Jared DeMichiel. After all, he helped the low-ranked Tigers beat top-seeded Denver University as well as the University of New Hampshire to give the school their first berth in the Frozen Four. As it turns out, those efforts were enough to earn DeMichiel a shot at making it in the pros.
Jared DeMichiel has taken the next step in his hockey career. On Wednesday, the former RIT goalie signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League.
DeMichiel was the key goaltender for RIT this past season, helping the Tigers to a school record of 27 wins and the school’s first ever trip to the NCAA Frozen Four.
Landing a deal with Hershey gives him a fair shot of trying to earn a job in the AHL, but in all likelihood he’ll end up in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays. The Caps AHL affiliate in Hershey already has Braden Holtby and veteran Dany Sabourin slated to play goal there this year so DeMichiel would have to be other-worldly to get a shot with the Bears.
This story is more about a kid from a small college getting a true shot to make it big. RIT isn’t exactly a college hockey powerhouse but if nothing else, the Caps organization has shown they’re not scared of former Tigers. Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto is a former Tiger himself. Best of luck to him as he tries to live the dream.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 9
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15