Jul 15, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
If you recall back in April, there was one name that got a lot of mention during college hockey’s NCAA Tournament was RIT goaltender Jared DeMichiel. After all, he helped the low-ranked Tigers beat top-seeded Denver University as well as the University of New Hampshire to give the school their first berth in the Frozen Four. As it turns out, those efforts were enough to earn DeMichiel a shot at making it in the pros.
Jared DeMichiel has taken the next step in his hockey career. On Wednesday, the former RIT goalie signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League.
DeMichiel was the key goaltender for RIT this past season, helping the Tigers to a school record of 27 wins and the school’s first ever trip to the NCAA Frozen Four.
Landing a deal with Hershey gives him a fair shot of trying to earn a job in the AHL, but in all likelihood he’ll end up in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays. The Caps AHL affiliate in Hershey already has Braden Holtby and veteran Dany Sabourin slated to play goal there this year so DeMichiel would have to be other-worldly to get a shot with the Bears.
This story is more about a kid from a small college getting a true shot to make it big. RIT isn’t exactly a college hockey powerhouse but if nothing else, the Caps organization has shown they’re not scared of former Tigers. Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto is a former Tiger himself. Best of luck to him as he tries to live the dream.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)