Jul 15, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
If you recall back in April, there was one name that got a lot of mention during college hockey’s NCAA Tournament was RIT goaltender Jared DeMichiel. After all, he helped the low-ranked Tigers beat top-seeded Denver University as well as the University of New Hampshire to give the school their first berth in the Frozen Four. As it turns out, those efforts were enough to earn DeMichiel a shot at making it in the pros.
Jared DeMichiel has taken the next step in his hockey career. On Wednesday, the former RIT goalie signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League.
DeMichiel was the key goaltender for RIT this past season, helping the Tigers to a school record of 27 wins and the school’s first ever trip to the NCAA Frozen Four.
Landing a deal with Hershey gives him a fair shot of trying to earn a job in the AHL, but in all likelihood he’ll end up in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays. The Caps AHL affiliate in Hershey already has Braden Holtby and veteran Dany Sabourin slated to play goal there this year so DeMichiel would have to be other-worldly to get a shot with the Bears.
This story is more about a kid from a small college getting a true shot to make it big. RIT isn’t exactly a college hockey powerhouse but if nothing else, the Caps organization has shown they’re not scared of former Tigers. Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto is a former Tiger himself. Best of luck to him as he tries to live the dream.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)