Jul 15, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
For a lot of players in the NHL, it can be tough to endear yourself to the hometown fans. Usually exceptional play and winning plenty of games will do all the hard work for you. But what if you’re already much beloved in the home city. Is there another level you can take your popularity to that doesn’t involve bringing the Stanley Cup home? What if that city is hockey-obsessed Montreal? It turns out defenseman Andrei Markov found just the right thing to do as Habs Inside/Out’s Dave Stubbs tells us.
Canadiens all-star defenceman Andrei Markov, a Russian native, reportedly will be sworn in as a Canadian citizen in a Montreal court this week.
I have to say there’s no better way to endear yourself to fiercely loyal Canadians than by becoming a Canadian citizen. Of course, this just invites comments about Quebec being at odds with Canada itself and whatnot, but for the time being it’s all Canada. Markov is a guy that many fans want to be named the next captain of the Canadiens (since there isn’t one at the moment) and Markov has such great popularity all without being from Quebec originally as it is. He really is a mold breaker isn’t he?
Now if he wants to go for the big win in all of this, he’ll learn to speak French and then get folk songs written about him throughout the province, or at the very least get to star in a disco song like Guy Lafleur did.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)