Jul 15, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Slow summer days are ideal days to find fun ways to bring stories together and find a unifying bond between them. Ahem, or it just means that it makes more sense to put stories about two different goalies bound for the AHL signing on with their respective parent clubs.
First up, the Carolina Hurricanes signed Justin Pogge to a one-year, two-way deal.
The Carolina Hurricanes signed goalie prospect Justin Pogge to a one-year, two-way contract on Thursday. Pogge was obtained from the Anaheim Ducks in the Aaron Ward trade at the deadline last season.
The goalie will earn $500,000 at the NHL level and $85,000 at the AHL, with a guaranteed minimum of $105,000.
Pogge will spend most, if not all, of next season in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers. Should anything happen with Cam Ward, Pogge would likely be the next man up to the NHL.
The Calgary Flames got their goaltending depth squared away a bit more today by signing Matt Keetley to a one-year, two-way deal.
Keetley played 23 games with the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League during the 2009-10 season posting a 10-7-1 record, a 2.59% GAA and a .912 save percentage.
Decent numbers in just a handful of games for Keetley. Expect him to spend more time at AHL Abbotsford than anywhere else.
The Minnesota Wild avoided the possibility of having Anton Khudobin going to Russia to play by signing him to a one-year, two-way deal that will have him bound for AHL Houston once again.
Sometimes known as “Borat,” due to his birthplace being Kazakhstan, Khudobin went 14-19-4 with a 2.43 GAA, a .907 SV% and four shutouts in 40 games with Houston of the American Hockey League (AHL) in 2009-10.
Yes, that’s very nice. I think we could all use some more hilarious Kazakhs on our favorite AHL or NHL teams to keep things lively and to horrify beat writers with threats of naked wrestling in the locker room. On second thought… Maybe not.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)