Jul 15, 2010, 4:50 PM EST
Slow summer days are ideal days to find fun ways to bring stories together and find a unifying bond between them. Ahem, or it just means that it makes more sense to put stories about two different goalies bound for the AHL signing on with their respective parent clubs.
First up, the Carolina Hurricanes signed Justin Pogge to a one-year, two-way deal.
The Carolina Hurricanes signed goalie prospect Justin Pogge to a one-year, two-way contract on Thursday. Pogge was obtained from the Anaheim Ducks in the Aaron Ward trade at the deadline last season.
The goalie will earn $500,000 at the NHL level and $85,000 at the AHL, with a guaranteed minimum of $105,000.
Pogge will spend most, if not all, of next season in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers. Should anything happen with Cam Ward, Pogge would likely be the next man up to the NHL.
The Calgary Flames got their goaltending depth squared away a bit more today by signing Matt Keetley to a one-year, two-way deal.
Keetley played 23 games with the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League during the 2009-10 season posting a 10-7-1 record, a 2.59% GAA and a .912 save percentage.
Decent numbers in just a handful of games for Keetley. Expect him to spend more time at AHL Abbotsford than anywhere else.
The Minnesota Wild avoided the possibility of having Anton Khudobin going to Russia to play by signing him to a one-year, two-way deal that will have him bound for AHL Houston once again.
Sometimes known as “Borat,” due to his birthplace being Kazakhstan, Khudobin went 14-19-4 with a 2.43 GAA, a .907 SV% and four shutouts in 40 games with Houston of the American Hockey League (AHL) in 2009-10.
Yes, that’s very nice. I think we could all use some more hilarious Kazakhs on our favorite AHL or NHL teams to keep things lively and to horrify beat writers with threats of naked wrestling in the locker room. On second thought… Maybe not.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)