Jul 15, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Slow summer days are ideal days to find fun ways to bring stories together and find a unifying bond between them. Ahem, or it just means that it makes more sense to put stories about two different goalies bound for the AHL signing on with their respective parent clubs.
First up, the Carolina Hurricanes signed Justin Pogge to a one-year, two-way deal.
The Carolina Hurricanes signed goalie prospect Justin Pogge to a one-year, two-way contract on Thursday. Pogge was obtained from the Anaheim Ducks in the Aaron Ward trade at the deadline last season.
The goalie will earn $500,000 at the NHL level and $85,000 at the AHL, with a guaranteed minimum of $105,000.
Pogge will spend most, if not all, of next season in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers. Should anything happen with Cam Ward, Pogge would likely be the next man up to the NHL.
The Calgary Flames got their goaltending depth squared away a bit more today by signing Matt Keetley to a one-year, two-way deal.
Keetley played 23 games with the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League during the 2009-10 season posting a 10-7-1 record, a 2.59% GAA and a .912 save percentage.
Decent numbers in just a handful of games for Keetley. Expect him to spend more time at AHL Abbotsford than anywhere else.
The Minnesota Wild avoided the possibility of having Anton Khudobin going to Russia to play by signing him to a one-year, two-way deal that will have him bound for AHL Houston once again.
Sometimes known as “Borat,” due to his birthplace being Kazakhstan, Khudobin went 14-19-4 with a 2.43 GAA, a .907 SV% and four shutouts in 40 games with Houston of the American Hockey League (AHL) in 2009-10.
Yes, that’s very nice. I think we could all use some more hilarious Kazakhs on our favorite AHL or NHL teams to keep things lively and to horrify beat writers with threats of naked wrestling in the locker room. On second thought… Maybe not.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)