Jul 15, 2010, 1:41 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have avoided arbitration with their one player eligible for it and retain his services at a bargain-basement kind of price. Tell us all about it Detroit.
Restricted free agent Derek Meech and the Red Wings averted salary arbitration when the defenseman signed a one-year contract to remain with the club.
Meech, who played the last three seasons with the Wings, had filed for salary arbitration earlier this month.
As a role player, the 26-year-old Meech has four goals and 12 assists in 126 regular-season games for the Wings. The versatile defenseman has often filled a valuable role for the team, moving up to play a forward position whenever coach Mike Babcock’s line-up as had a void.
Meech will apparently make a cool $500,000 to be a depth player once again for the Red Wings. Taking the league minimum to be a real team player is a nice thing to do, especially when the arbitration case, should it have come down to that, would’ve been rather amusing to sit in on as Meech’s statistics don’t exactly pan out well in his favor.
Now Detroit’s focus will turn to signing their other two restricted free agents Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm, both of whom are being counted on for more production next season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)