Jul 15, 2010, 1:41 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have avoided arbitration with their one player eligible for it and retain his services at a bargain-basement kind of price. Tell us all about it Detroit.
Restricted free agent Derek Meech and the Red Wings averted salary arbitration when the defenseman signed a one-year contract to remain with the club.
Meech, who played the last three seasons with the Wings, had filed for salary arbitration earlier this month.
As a role player, the 26-year-old Meech has four goals and 12 assists in 126 regular-season games for the Wings. The versatile defenseman has often filled a valuable role for the team, moving up to play a forward position whenever coach Mike Babcock’s line-up as had a void.
Meech will apparently make a cool $500,000 to be a depth player once again for the Red Wings. Taking the league minimum to be a real team player is a nice thing to do, especially when the arbitration case, should it have come down to that, would’ve been rather amusing to sit in on as Meech’s statistics don’t exactly pan out well in his favor.
Now Detroit’s focus will turn to signing their other two restricted free agents Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm, both of whom are being counted on for more production next season.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off