Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Islanders locked down two of their own restricted free agents they had qualifying offers out to today. One name will be a bit more recognizable than the other but both are equally important to their depth.
Defenseman Dustin Kohn was the first to get settled back in with the Islanders today, re-signing for one year.
Kohn, 23, made his NHL debut last season with the Islanders, playing in 22 games and recording four assists. Prior to his late-January call-up, the Edmonton, ALT., native scored 17 points (2 goals, 15 assists) in 45 games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL.
Kohn is strictly a depth defenseman for the Islanders at this moment and will likely spend the better part of next year with Bridgeport in the AHL. As for the Isles other signing today, it’s kind of a big deal for them if they want to stay successful in shootouts.
The New York Islanders announced today that they have agreed to terms on a one-year NHL contract with forward Rob Schremp.
Schremp, 24, posted NHL career-highs in goals (7), assists (18), points (25), penalty minutes (8) and games played (44) last season with the Islanders after being claimed off of waivers from Edmonton on September 29, 2009.
All right, so he didn’t put up big numbers, but Rob Schremp is known for pulling off highlight reel-style goals of all kinds and is a wizard when it comes to the shootout. Hey, everyone’s got a role to have in the NHL these days.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)