Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Islanders locked down two of their own restricted free agents they had qualifying offers out to today. One name will be a bit more recognizable than the other but both are equally important to their depth.
Defenseman Dustin Kohn was the first to get settled back in with the Islanders today, re-signing for one year.
Kohn, 23, made his NHL debut last season with the Islanders, playing in 22 games and recording four assists. Prior to his late-January call-up, the Edmonton, ALT., native scored 17 points (2 goals, 15 assists) in 45 games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL.
Kohn is strictly a depth defenseman for the Islanders at this moment and will likely spend the better part of next year with Bridgeport in the AHL. As for the Isles other signing today, it’s kind of a big deal for them if they want to stay successful in shootouts.
The New York Islanders announced today that they have agreed to terms on a one-year NHL contract with forward Rob Schremp.
Schremp, 24, posted NHL career-highs in goals (7), assists (18), points (25), penalty minutes (8) and games played (44) last season with the Islanders after being claimed off of waivers from Edmonton on September 29, 2009.
All right, so he didn’t put up big numbers, but Rob Schremp is known for pulling off highlight reel-style goals of all kinds and is a wizard when it comes to the shootout. Hey, everyone’s got a role to have in the NHL these days.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)