Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Islanders locked down two of their own restricted free agents they had qualifying offers out to today. One name will be a bit more recognizable than the other but both are equally important to their depth.
Defenseman Dustin Kohn was the first to get settled back in with the Islanders today, re-signing for one year.
Kohn, 23, made his NHL debut last season with the Islanders, playing in 22 games and recording four assists. Prior to his late-January call-up, the Edmonton, ALT., native scored 17 points (2 goals, 15 assists) in 45 games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL.
Kohn is strictly a depth defenseman for the Islanders at this moment and will likely spend the better part of next year with Bridgeport in the AHL. As for the Isles other signing today, it’s kind of a big deal for them if they want to stay successful in shootouts.
The New York Islanders announced today that they have agreed to terms on a one-year NHL contract with forward Rob Schremp.
Schremp, 24, posted NHL career-highs in goals (7), assists (18), points (25), penalty minutes (8) and games played (44) last season with the Islanders after being claimed off of waivers from Edmonton on September 29, 2009.
All right, so he didn’t put up big numbers, but Rob Schremp is known for pulling off highlight reel-style goals of all kinds and is a wizard when it comes to the shootout. Hey, everyone’s got a role to have in the NHL these days.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 3
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil
- Play Video: Cooke catches Karlsson in face with stick