Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EST
The Islanders locked down two of their own restricted free agents they had qualifying offers out to today. One name will be a bit more recognizable than the other but both are equally important to their depth.
Defenseman Dustin Kohn was the first to get settled back in with the Islanders today, re-signing for one year.
Kohn, 23, made his NHL debut last season with the Islanders, playing in 22 games and recording four assists. Prior to his late-January call-up, the Edmonton, ALT., native scored 17 points (2 goals, 15 assists) in 45 games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL.
Kohn is strictly a depth defenseman for the Islanders at this moment and will likely spend the better part of next year with Bridgeport in the AHL. As for the Isles other signing today, it’s kind of a big deal for them if they want to stay successful in shootouts.
The New York Islanders announced today that they have agreed to terms on a one-year NHL contract with forward Rob Schremp.
Schremp, 24, posted NHL career-highs in goals (7), assists (18), points (25), penalty minutes (8) and games played (44) last season with the Islanders after being claimed off of waivers from Edmonton on September 29, 2009.
All right, so he didn’t put up big numbers, but Rob Schremp is known for pulling off highlight reel-style goals of all kinds and is a wizard when it comes to the shootout. Hey, everyone’s got a role to have in the NHL these days.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)