Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EST
The Islanders locked down two of their own restricted free agents they had qualifying offers out to today. One name will be a bit more recognizable than the other but both are equally important to their depth.
Defenseman Dustin Kohn was the first to get settled back in with the Islanders today, re-signing for one year.
Kohn, 23, made his NHL debut last season with the Islanders, playing in 22 games and recording four assists. Prior to his late-January call-up, the Edmonton, ALT., native scored 17 points (2 goals, 15 assists) in 45 games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL.
Kohn is strictly a depth defenseman for the Islanders at this moment and will likely spend the better part of next year with Bridgeport in the AHL. As for the Isles other signing today, it’s kind of a big deal for them if they want to stay successful in shootouts.
The New York Islanders announced today that they have agreed to terms on a one-year NHL contract with forward Rob Schremp.
Schremp, 24, posted NHL career-highs in goals (7), assists (18), points (25), penalty minutes (8) and games played (44) last season with the Islanders after being claimed off of waivers from Edmonton on September 29, 2009.
All right, so he didn’t put up big numbers, but Rob Schremp is known for pulling off highlight reel-style goals of all kinds and is a wizard when it comes to the shootout. Hey, everyone’s got a role to have in the NHL these days.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 2
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 13
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)