Jul 15, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
With all of the rumors about the Boston Bruins pondering a Marc Savard salary dump, you’d think they become a little careful with their money. Instead, the team continues its tradition of overpaying just about everyone (except Savard), as they signed depth forward Gregory Campbell to a two-year, $2.2 million contract. (Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston provided the financial terms for the deal.)
Campbell scored two goals and had 15 assists in 60 regular season games with the Florida Panthers last season. The frequent hitter (158 in those 60 GP) was traded to Boston in the Nathan Horton deal.
He’s also the son of Colin Campbell, the NHL’s head of discipline (or, “Guy who spins the Wheel of Justice” if you’re feeling snarky). When Greg Campbell’s team is involved in a controversial hit – such was the case when Mike Richards delivered a brutal check to David Booth last season – Colin stays out of the discussion to avoid a conflict of interest. It’s just another bullet point for critics of the league’s seemingly haphazard “justice” system.
The Bruins are an interesting dichotomy of team building. While they clearly seem to sign players above market value time and time again, the team also seems pretty clever when it comes to trades (Dennis Wideman proves both of those points). The team will probably need to move a player or two so they can put a full roster on ice, so we’ll keep you up to date as the Bruins make room.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)