Jul 15, 2010, 7:10 PM EST
With all of the rumors about the Boston Bruins pondering a Marc Savard salary dump, you’d think they become a little careful with their money. Instead, the team continues its tradition of overpaying just about everyone (except Savard), as they signed depth forward Gregory Campbell to a two-year, $2.2 million contract. (Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston provided the financial terms for the deal.)
Campbell scored two goals and had 15 assists in 60 regular season games with the Florida Panthers last season. The frequent hitter (158 in those 60 GP) was traded to Boston in the Nathan Horton deal.
He’s also the son of Colin Campbell, the NHL’s head of discipline (or, “Guy who spins the Wheel of Justice” if you’re feeling snarky). When Greg Campbell’s team is involved in a controversial hit – such was the case when Mike Richards delivered a brutal check to David Booth last season – Colin stays out of the discussion to avoid a conflict of interest. It’s just another bullet point for critics of the league’s seemingly haphazard “justice” system.
The Bruins are an interesting dichotomy of team building. While they clearly seem to sign players above market value time and time again, the team also seems pretty clever when it comes to trades (Dennis Wideman proves both of those points). The team will probably need to move a player or two so they can put a full roster on ice, so we’ll keep you up to date as the Bruins make room.
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24