Jul 15, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
With all of the rumors about the Boston Bruins pondering a Marc Savard salary dump, you’d think they become a little careful with their money. Instead, the team continues its tradition of overpaying just about everyone (except Savard), as they signed depth forward Gregory Campbell to a two-year, $2.2 million contract. (Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston provided the financial terms for the deal.)
Campbell scored two goals and had 15 assists in 60 regular season games with the Florida Panthers last season. The frequent hitter (158 in those 60 GP) was traded to Boston in the Nathan Horton deal.
He’s also the son of Colin Campbell, the NHL’s head of discipline (or, “Guy who spins the Wheel of Justice” if you’re feeling snarky). When Greg Campbell’s team is involved in a controversial hit – such was the case when Mike Richards delivered a brutal check to David Booth last season – Colin stays out of the discussion to avoid a conflict of interest. It’s just another bullet point for critics of the league’s seemingly haphazard “justice” system.
The Bruins are an interesting dichotomy of team building. While they clearly seem to sign players above market value time and time again, the team also seems pretty clever when it comes to trades (Dennis Wideman proves both of those points). The team will probably need to move a player or two so they can put a full roster on ice, so we’ll keep you up to date as the Bruins make room.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)