Jul 15, 2010, 2:32 PM EDT
While the Chicago Blackhawks are taking a beating in the public eye for disbanding a Stanley Cup winning team, there still is some business to attend to when it comes to icing a team next season. One of the young guys in the Hawks system that will be counted on to bring a bit more to the table next year is center Jack Skille. Skille re-signed with Chicago today on a one-year deal.
The deal is worth $600,000. That’s a big difference than his cap hit of more than $1 million the past few years. That inflated cap hit was a reason why Skille didn’t see much time with the Hawks.
Skille was drafted by the Hawks with the seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft. Skille played at Wisconsin before joining the Rockford IceHogs, the Hawks’ American Hockey League affiliate. He had 23 goals and 49 points for Rockford in 2009-10.
It’s always nice to see former college players do well (yes, I’m a shameless college hockey fan, you’ll get used to this) and Skille will now have a great opportunity to seize his career opportunity of a lifetime with the Blackhawks being a bit desperate to fill slots on the big club with experienced guys. Skille has some size, he’s 6’1″ 215 and he’s a quick skater which translates into a guy that could prove to be helpful in a grind line kind of role.
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 5
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 16
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2