Jul 14, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s become a summer tradition like sundresses and sweat-stained T-shirts. Teemu Selanne is once again needing some time to do some soul-searching regarding his retirement decision. You can’t call him Brett Favre because – even when he sat out some games – he still came back and never actually retired.
Still, the creeping possibility of hanging up his skates is a common worry for the Anaheim Ducks and their fans. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Ducks will have to wait a little longer to see if the Finnish Flash will play another year in the NHL.
No decision expected from Teemu Selanne this week. Ducks GM Bob Murray said they’ve talked and are scheduled to talk again next week.
Injuries have haunted Selanne the last few campaigns, having played in only 26, 65 and 54 games in the last three seasons (although it must be noted that he voluntarily set out much of that 26 game season in 07-08). Even though he missed nearly 30 games, Selanne managed to score 27 goals in 09-10. That’s a clip of a goal every other game, which would be a 41-goal output if he played 82 games at that pace.
So, obviously, Selanne still brings some value to the table, even at the age of 40. We’ll see if he still wants to bring his rare scoring ability to the 2010-11 season.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)