Jul 14, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s become a summer tradition like sundresses and sweat-stained T-shirts. Teemu Selanne is once again needing some time to do some soul-searching regarding his retirement decision. You can’t call him Brett Favre because – even when he sat out some games – he still came back and never actually retired.
Still, the creeping possibility of hanging up his skates is a common worry for the Anaheim Ducks and their fans. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Ducks will have to wait a little longer to see if the Finnish Flash will play another year in the NHL.
No decision expected from Teemu Selanne this week. Ducks GM Bob Murray said they’ve talked and are scheduled to talk again next week.
Injuries have haunted Selanne the last few campaigns, having played in only 26, 65 and 54 games in the last three seasons (although it must be noted that he voluntarily set out much of that 26 game season in 07-08). Even though he missed nearly 30 games, Selanne managed to score 27 goals in 09-10. That’s a clip of a goal every other game, which would be a 41-goal output if he played 82 games at that pace.
So, obviously, Selanne still brings some value to the table, even at the age of 40. We’ll see if he still wants to bring his rare scoring ability to the 2010-11 season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)