Jul 14, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
It’s become a summer tradition like sundresses and sweat-stained T-shirts. Teemu Selanne is once again needing some time to do some soul-searching regarding his retirement decision. You can’t call him Brett Favre because – even when he sat out some games – he still came back and never actually retired.
Still, the creeping possibility of hanging up his skates is a common worry for the Anaheim Ducks and their fans. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Ducks will have to wait a little longer to see if the Finnish Flash will play another year in the NHL.
No decision expected from Teemu Selanne this week. Ducks GM Bob Murray said they’ve talked and are scheduled to talk again next week.
Injuries have haunted Selanne the last few campaigns, having played in only 26, 65 and 54 games in the last three seasons (although it must be noted that he voluntarily set out much of that 26 game season in 07-08). Even though he missed nearly 30 games, Selanne managed to score 27 goals in 09-10. That’s a clip of a goal every other game, which would be a 41-goal output if he played 82 games at that pace.
So, obviously, Selanne still brings some value to the table, even at the age of 40. We’ll see if he still wants to bring his rare scoring ability to the 2010-11 season.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)