Jul 14, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s become a summer tradition like sundresses and sweat-stained T-shirts. Teemu Selanne is once again needing some time to do some soul-searching regarding his retirement decision. You can’t call him Brett Favre because – even when he sat out some games – he still came back and never actually retired.
Still, the creeping possibility of hanging up his skates is a common worry for the Anaheim Ducks and their fans. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Ducks will have to wait a little longer to see if the Finnish Flash will play another year in the NHL.
No decision expected from Teemu Selanne this week. Ducks GM Bob Murray said they’ve talked and are scheduled to talk again next week.
Injuries have haunted Selanne the last few campaigns, having played in only 26, 65 and 54 games in the last three seasons (although it must be noted that he voluntarily set out much of that 26 game season in 07-08). Even though he missed nearly 30 games, Selanne managed to score 27 goals in 09-10. That’s a clip of a goal every other game, which would be a 41-goal output if he played 82 games at that pace.
So, obviously, Selanne still brings some value to the table, even at the age of 40. We’ll see if he still wants to bring his rare scoring ability to the 2010-11 season.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)