Jul 14, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s become a summer tradition like sundresses and sweat-stained T-shirts. Teemu Selanne is once again needing some time to do some soul-searching regarding his retirement decision. You can’t call him Brett Favre because – even when he sat out some games – he still came back and never actually retired.
Still, the creeping possibility of hanging up his skates is a common worry for the Anaheim Ducks and their fans. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Ducks will have to wait a little longer to see if the Finnish Flash will play another year in the NHL.
No decision expected from Teemu Selanne this week. Ducks GM Bob Murray said they’ve talked and are scheduled to talk again next week.
Injuries have haunted Selanne the last few campaigns, having played in only 26, 65 and 54 games in the last three seasons (although it must be noted that he voluntarily set out much of that 26 game season in 07-08). Even though he missed nearly 30 games, Selanne managed to score 27 goals in 09-10. That’s a clip of a goal every other game, which would be a 41-goal output if he played 82 games at that pace.
So, obviously, Selanne still brings some value to the table, even at the age of 40. We’ll see if he still wants to bring his rare scoring ability to the 2010-11 season.
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)