Jul 14, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Now, the most important thing to note is that this is a rumor. I thought I’d get that out of the way immediately. The thing is, this rumor comes from one of the most respected, stable and trusted writers in hockey (Lyle “Spector” Richardson, to be exact).
With all the Donald Fehr talk, it’s natural to wonder if there will be more clouds in the sky of hockey’s financial future. Richardson shared word of a rumor that the NHL salary cap ceiling – which will be at about $59.6 million next season – could free fall to $48 million once the league writes up a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here’s the Twitter rumor he mentioned.
Ominous Rumor: the NHL will seek to lower the salary cap ceiling in the next CBA to $48 million.
Again, he went out of his way to mention that it was a rumor, so take that with a grain of salt.
Before you begin to have nightmares of every major team going the way of the Chicago Blackhawks, it’s important to note that such a scenario wouldn’t be a true threat for quite some time. The current CBA will cover both next season and the 2011-12 season after the NHLPA approved it to be extended for another year.
Of course, we’re ignoring the most ominous sign of them all; the CBA runs out in 2012. You know, the year when the world ends/Hollywood makes a really unimaginative disaster movie. Should hockey players rent a plane/pack up the kids, for a laborious lockout, then? For the health of the game, let’s hope not.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)