Jul 14, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Now, the most important thing to note is that this is a rumor. I thought I’d get that out of the way immediately. The thing is, this rumor comes from one of the most respected, stable and trusted writers in hockey (Lyle “Spector” Richardson, to be exact).
With all the Donald Fehr talk, it’s natural to wonder if there will be more clouds in the sky of hockey’s financial future. Richardson shared word of a rumor that the NHL salary cap ceiling – which will be at about $59.6 million next season – could free fall to $48 million once the league writes up a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here’s the Twitter rumor he mentioned.
Ominous Rumor: the NHL will seek to lower the salary cap ceiling in the next CBA to $48 million.
Again, he went out of his way to mention that it was a rumor, so take that with a grain of salt.
Before you begin to have nightmares of every major team going the way of the Chicago Blackhawks, it’s important to note that such a scenario wouldn’t be a true threat for quite some time. The current CBA will cover both next season and the 2011-12 season after the NHLPA approved it to be extended for another year.
Of course, we’re ignoring the most ominous sign of them all; the CBA runs out in 2012. You know, the year when the world ends/Hollywood makes a really unimaginative disaster movie. Should hockey players rent a plane/pack up the kids, for a laborious lockout, then? For the health of the game, let’s hope not.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)