Jul 14, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Now, the most important thing to note is that this is a rumor. I thought I’d get that out of the way immediately. The thing is, this rumor comes from one of the most respected, stable and trusted writers in hockey (Lyle “Spector” Richardson, to be exact).
With all the Donald Fehr talk, it’s natural to wonder if there will be more clouds in the sky of hockey’s financial future. Richardson shared word of a rumor that the NHL salary cap ceiling – which will be at about $59.6 million next season – could free fall to $48 million once the league writes up a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here’s the Twitter rumor he mentioned.
Ominous Rumor: the NHL will seek to lower the salary cap ceiling in the next CBA to $48 million.
Again, he went out of his way to mention that it was a rumor, so take that with a grain of salt.
Before you begin to have nightmares of every major team going the way of the Chicago Blackhawks, it’s important to note that such a scenario wouldn’t be a true threat for quite some time. The current CBA will cover both next season and the 2011-12 season after the NHLPA approved it to be extended for another year.
Of course, we’re ignoring the most ominous sign of them all; the CBA runs out in 2012. You know, the year when the world ends/Hollywood makes a really unimaginative disaster movie. Should hockey players rent a plane/pack up the kids, for a laborious lockout, then? For the health of the game, let’s hope not.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)