Jul 14, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Now, the most important thing to note is that this is a rumor. I thought I’d get that out of the way immediately. The thing is, this rumor comes from one of the most respected, stable and trusted writers in hockey (Lyle “Spector” Richardson, to be exact).
With all the Donald Fehr talk, it’s natural to wonder if there will be more clouds in the sky of hockey’s financial future. Richardson shared word of a rumor that the NHL salary cap ceiling – which will be at about $59.6 million next season – could free fall to $48 million once the league writes up a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here’s the Twitter rumor he mentioned.
Ominous Rumor: the NHL will seek to lower the salary cap ceiling in the next CBA to $48 million.
Again, he went out of his way to mention that it was a rumor, so take that with a grain of salt.
Before you begin to have nightmares of every major team going the way of the Chicago Blackhawks, it’s important to note that such a scenario wouldn’t be a true threat for quite some time. The current CBA will cover both next season and the 2011-12 season after the NHLPA approved it to be extended for another year.
Of course, we’re ignoring the most ominous sign of them all; the CBA runs out in 2012. You know, the year when the world ends/Hollywood makes a really unimaginative disaster movie. Should hockey players rent a plane/pack up the kids, for a laborious lockout, then? For the health of the game, let’s hope not.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)