Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Another day, another Olympic hero for their country signs on with a Canadian NHL team. Yesterday it was Switzerland’s Roman Wick signing with the Ottawa Senators and today it’s Germany’s Marcel Mueller signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Olympic forward Marcel Mueller to a two-year entry-level contract, after a successful season in the German Elite League.
The team announced the signing of the 22-year-old Mueller on Wednesday, after he had 24 goals and 32 assists in 53 games last season for the Cologne Sharks. Other terms were not disclosed.
Mueller had 43 goals and 61 assists in 198 career games in Germany.
All right, so he’s young, he’s got some size (6’3″ 200 pounds) and managed to do very average work both at the Olympics (4 games, 2 assists) and the 2010 IIHF World Championships (9 games, 1 goal and 1 assist). He wasn’t a game-breaker for the Germans, although his goal against Belarus at the World Championships was a game-tying goal with less than a minute left to play. The downside is that it was against Belarus.
This is strictly a depth move for the Leafs but should they get anything unexpectedly big out of Mueller, hey, it’s a huge bonus. Perhaps they’re hoping that Germany is the new Scandinavia when it comes to finding hidden NHL gems.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 40
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 15
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead