Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Another day, another Olympic hero for their country signs on with a Canadian NHL team. Yesterday it was Switzerland’s Roman Wick signing with the Ottawa Senators and today it’s Germany’s Marcel Mueller signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Olympic forward Marcel Mueller to a two-year entry-level contract, after a successful season in the German Elite League.
The team announced the signing of the 22-year-old Mueller on Wednesday, after he had 24 goals and 32 assists in 53 games last season for the Cologne Sharks. Other terms were not disclosed.
Mueller had 43 goals and 61 assists in 198 career games in Germany.
All right, so he’s young, he’s got some size (6’3″ 200 pounds) and managed to do very average work both at the Olympics (4 games, 2 assists) and the 2010 IIHF World Championships (9 games, 1 goal and 1 assist). He wasn’t a game-breaker for the Germans, although his goal against Belarus at the World Championships was a game-tying goal with less than a minute left to play. The downside is that it was against Belarus.
This is strictly a depth move for the Leafs but should they get anything unexpectedly big out of Mueller, hey, it’s a huge bonus. Perhaps they’re hoping that Germany is the new Scandinavia when it comes to finding hidden NHL gems.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)