Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Another day, another Olympic hero for their country signs on with a Canadian NHL team. Yesterday it was Switzerland’s Roman Wick signing with the Ottawa Senators and today it’s Germany’s Marcel Mueller signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Olympic forward Marcel Mueller to a two-year entry-level contract, after a successful season in the German Elite League.
The team announced the signing of the 22-year-old Mueller on Wednesday, after he had 24 goals and 32 assists in 53 games last season for the Cologne Sharks. Other terms were not disclosed.
Mueller had 43 goals and 61 assists in 198 career games in Germany.
All right, so he’s young, he’s got some size (6’3″ 200 pounds) and managed to do very average work both at the Olympics (4 games, 2 assists) and the 2010 IIHF World Championships (9 games, 1 goal and 1 assist). He wasn’t a game-breaker for the Germans, although his goal against Belarus at the World Championships was a game-tying goal with less than a minute left to play. The downside is that it was against Belarus.
This is strictly a depth move for the Leafs but should they get anything unexpectedly big out of Mueller, hey, it’s a huge bonus. Perhaps they’re hoping that Germany is the new Scandinavia when it comes to finding hidden NHL gems.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)