Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Another day, another Olympic hero for their country signs on with a Canadian NHL team. Yesterday it was Switzerland’s Roman Wick signing with the Ottawa Senators and today it’s Germany’s Marcel Mueller signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Olympic forward Marcel Mueller to a two-year entry-level contract, after a successful season in the German Elite League.
The team announced the signing of the 22-year-old Mueller on Wednesday, after he had 24 goals and 32 assists in 53 games last season for the Cologne Sharks. Other terms were not disclosed.
Mueller had 43 goals and 61 assists in 198 career games in Germany.
All right, so he’s young, he’s got some size (6’3″ 200 pounds) and managed to do very average work both at the Olympics (4 games, 2 assists) and the 2010 IIHF World Championships (9 games, 1 goal and 1 assist). He wasn’t a game-breaker for the Germans, although his goal against Belarus at the World Championships was a game-tying goal with less than a minute left to play. The downside is that it was against Belarus.
This is strictly a depth move for the Leafs but should they get anything unexpectedly big out of Mueller, hey, it’s a huge bonus. Perhaps they’re hoping that Germany is the new Scandinavia when it comes to finding hidden NHL gems.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 51
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)