Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 PM EST
Another day, another Olympic hero for their country signs on with a Canadian NHL team. Yesterday it was Switzerland’s Roman Wick signing with the Ottawa Senators and today it’s Germany’s Marcel Mueller signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Olympic forward Marcel Mueller to a two-year entry-level contract, after a successful season in the German Elite League.
The team announced the signing of the 22-year-old Mueller on Wednesday, after he had 24 goals and 32 assists in 53 games last season for the Cologne Sharks. Other terms were not disclosed.
Mueller had 43 goals and 61 assists in 198 career games in Germany.
All right, so he’s young, he’s got some size (6’3″ 200 pounds) and managed to do very average work both at the Olympics (4 games, 2 assists) and the 2010 IIHF World Championships (9 games, 1 goal and 1 assist). He wasn’t a game-breaker for the Germans, although his goal against Belarus at the World Championships was a game-tying goal with less than a minute left to play. The downside is that it was against Belarus.
This is strictly a depth move for the Leafs but should they get anything unexpectedly big out of Mueller, hey, it’s a huge bonus. Perhaps they’re hoping that Germany is the new Scandinavia when it comes to finding hidden NHL gems.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 94
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (95)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)