Jul 14, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Another day, another update about Ilya Kovalchuk that doesn’t have too much else to share. He’s gone to Los Angeles, he’s met with Kings GM Dean Lombardi and he’s met with Kings players Dustin Brown, Jarret Stoll, and Matt Greene. He’s gotten the tour of the Kings practice facility and presumably been wined and dined about Hollywood to show what a great place it is.
The saga continues, however, and both Kovalchuk and his agent Jay Grossman have headed home without a contract signed. Helene Elliott of the LA Times continues her constant vigil on things happening in California.
The fact that Kovalchuk left town seems to indicate he and the Kings aren’t near an agreement: if they were, he would have stayed here for a news conference. But planes (especially private jets) go back and forth often between California and Florida, where Kovalchuk lives in the off-season. So he could come back West on short notice.
Or this can drag on, which is more likely.
Drag on it will because it seems that “compromise” isn’t the operative word of the day just yet. It could be, of course, but just not at the moment. After all, if that were an option, it’s likely we wouldn’t be going on two weeks of full blown obsession wondering about what Ilya Kovalchuk is going to do about his playing future.
The Devils made it clear where they stand on matters the other day saying that they’ve done all that they can do for the time being and it’s up to Kovalchuk. Other teams that aren’t dealing with Kovalchuk seem to be stuck in a holding pattern or sorts, afraid to make a move for another player before this soap opera plays itself out. Be it the Flyers with Simon Gagne or free agents like Alexander Frolov. Players wait, general managers wait, fans pull their hair out waiting and coming up with crazy notions that somehow Kovalchuk is just like LeBron James.
‘Tis the season for insanity.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 23
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 40
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6