Jul 14, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Another day, another update about Ilya Kovalchuk that doesn’t have too much else to share. He’s gone to Los Angeles, he’s met with Kings GM Dean Lombardi and he’s met with Kings players Dustin Brown, Jarret Stoll, and Matt Greene. He’s gotten the tour of the Kings practice facility and presumably been wined and dined about Hollywood to show what a great place it is.
The saga continues, however, and both Kovalchuk and his agent Jay Grossman have headed home without a contract signed. Helene Elliott of the LA Times continues her constant vigil on things happening in California.
The fact that Kovalchuk left town seems to indicate he and the Kings aren’t near an agreement: if they were, he would have stayed here for a news conference. But planes (especially private jets) go back and forth often between California and Florida, where Kovalchuk lives in the off-season. So he could come back West on short notice.
Or this can drag on, which is more likely.
Drag on it will because it seems that “compromise” isn’t the operative word of the day just yet. It could be, of course, but just not at the moment. After all, if that were an option, it’s likely we wouldn’t be going on two weeks of full blown obsession wondering about what Ilya Kovalchuk is going to do about his playing future.
The Devils made it clear where they stand on matters the other day saying that they’ve done all that they can do for the time being and it’s up to Kovalchuk. Other teams that aren’t dealing with Kovalchuk seem to be stuck in a holding pattern or sorts, afraid to make a move for another player before this soap opera plays itself out. Be it the Flyers with Simon Gagne or free agents like Alexander Frolov. Players wait, general managers wait, fans pull their hair out waiting and coming up with crazy notions that somehow Kovalchuk is just like LeBron James.
‘Tis the season for insanity.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (80)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness