Jul 14, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Another day, another update about Ilya Kovalchuk that doesn’t have too much else to share. He’s gone to Los Angeles, he’s met with Kings GM Dean Lombardi and he’s met with Kings players Dustin Brown, Jarret Stoll, and Matt Greene. He’s gotten the tour of the Kings practice facility and presumably been wined and dined about Hollywood to show what a great place it is.
The saga continues, however, and both Kovalchuk and his agent Jay Grossman have headed home without a contract signed. Helene Elliott of the LA Times continues her constant vigil on things happening in California.
The fact that Kovalchuk left town seems to indicate he and the Kings aren’t near an agreement: if they were, he would have stayed here for a news conference. But planes (especially private jets) go back and forth often between California and Florida, where Kovalchuk lives in the off-season. So he could come back West on short notice.
Or this can drag on, which is more likely.
Drag on it will because it seems that “compromise” isn’t the operative word of the day just yet. It could be, of course, but just not at the moment. After all, if that were an option, it’s likely we wouldn’t be going on two weeks of full blown obsession wondering about what Ilya Kovalchuk is going to do about his playing future.
The Devils made it clear where they stand on matters the other day saying that they’ve done all that they can do for the time being and it’s up to Kovalchuk. Other teams that aren’t dealing with Kovalchuk seem to be stuck in a holding pattern or sorts, afraid to make a move for another player before this soap opera plays itself out. Be it the Flyers with Simon Gagne or free agents like Alexander Frolov. Players wait, general managers wait, fans pull their hair out waiting and coming up with crazy notions that somehow Kovalchuk is just like LeBron James.
‘Tis the season for insanity.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)