Jul 14, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Another day, another update about Ilya Kovalchuk that doesn’t have too much else to share. He’s gone to Los Angeles, he’s met with Kings GM Dean Lombardi and he’s met with Kings players Dustin Brown, Jarret Stoll, and Matt Greene. He’s gotten the tour of the Kings practice facility and presumably been wined and dined about Hollywood to show what a great place it is.
The saga continues, however, and both Kovalchuk and his agent Jay Grossman have headed home without a contract signed. Helene Elliott of the LA Times continues her constant vigil on things happening in California.
The fact that Kovalchuk left town seems to indicate he and the Kings aren’t near an agreement: if they were, he would have stayed here for a news conference. But planes (especially private jets) go back and forth often between California and Florida, where Kovalchuk lives in the off-season. So he could come back West on short notice.
Or this can drag on, which is more likely.
Drag on it will because it seems that “compromise” isn’t the operative word of the day just yet. It could be, of course, but just not at the moment. After all, if that were an option, it’s likely we wouldn’t be going on two weeks of full blown obsession wondering about what Ilya Kovalchuk is going to do about his playing future.
The Devils made it clear where they stand on matters the other day saying that they’ve done all that they can do for the time being and it’s up to Kovalchuk. Other teams that aren’t dealing with Kovalchuk seem to be stuck in a holding pattern or sorts, afraid to make a move for another player before this soap opera plays itself out. Be it the Flyers with Simon Gagne or free agents like Alexander Frolov. Players wait, general managers wait, fans pull their hair out waiting and coming up with crazy notions that somehow Kovalchuk is just like LeBron James.
‘Tis the season for insanity.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)