Jul 14, 2010, 7:50 PM EST
Prepare your “must be a slow news day, eh?” quips for this bit of news. The Oilers have re-signed one of their primary depth forwards for another year.
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with left-winger J.F. Jacques on a one-year deal.
Jacques, 25, played in 49 games last year with the Oilers collecting 11 points (4G, 7A) and 78 penalty minutes.
The 6’4″, 217lbs Montreal, Quebec native was regularly in the top 10 in the league with hits before a back injury ended his season early.
He’s a grinder, he plays with an edge and he’s got a big body for hitting people. He’s your ideal fourth line guy and that’s about all. Of course, his role might become a lot more vital should Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson all make the team next year and need some physical protection.
The other quota that J.F. Jacques fills is guys that go by initials. Not since J.J. Daigneault, P.J. Axelsson, and P.J. Stock has there been a better set of initials out on the ice. I’m not sure if I’m being complimentary or not.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)