Jul 14, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Prepare your “must be a slow news day, eh?” quips for this bit of news. The Oilers have re-signed one of their primary depth forwards for another year.
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with left-winger J.F. Jacques on a one-year deal.
Jacques, 25, played in 49 games last year with the Oilers collecting 11 points (4G, 7A) and 78 penalty minutes.
The 6’4″, 217lbs Montreal, Quebec native was regularly in the top 10 in the league with hits before a back injury ended his season early.
He’s a grinder, he plays with an edge and he’s got a big body for hitting people. He’s your ideal fourth line guy and that’s about all. Of course, his role might become a lot more vital should Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson all make the team next year and need some physical protection.
The other quota that J.F. Jacques fills is guys that go by initials. Not since J.J. Daigneault, P.J. Axelsson, and P.J. Stock has there been a better set of initials out on the ice. I’m not sure if I’m being complimentary or not.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 99
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)