Jul 14, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Prepare your “must be a slow news day, eh?” quips for this bit of news. The Oilers have re-signed one of their primary depth forwards for another year.
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with left-winger J.F. Jacques on a one-year deal.
Jacques, 25, played in 49 games last year with the Oilers collecting 11 points (4G, 7A) and 78 penalty minutes.
The 6’4″, 217lbs Montreal, Quebec native was regularly in the top 10 in the league with hits before a back injury ended his season early.
He’s a grinder, he plays with an edge and he’s got a big body for hitting people. He’s your ideal fourth line guy and that’s about all. Of course, his role might become a lot more vital should Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson all make the team next year and need some physical protection.
The other quota that J.F. Jacques fills is guys that go by initials. Not since J.J. Daigneault, P.J. Axelsson, and P.J. Stock has there been a better set of initials out on the ice. I’m not sure if I’m being complimentary or not.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)