Jul 14, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Prepare your “must be a slow news day, eh?” quips for this bit of news. The Oilers have re-signed one of their primary depth forwards for another year.
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with left-winger J.F. Jacques on a one-year deal.
Jacques, 25, played in 49 games last year with the Oilers collecting 11 points (4G, 7A) and 78 penalty minutes.
The 6’4″, 217lbs Montreal, Quebec native was regularly in the top 10 in the league with hits before a back injury ended his season early.
He’s a grinder, he plays with an edge and he’s got a big body for hitting people. He’s your ideal fourth line guy and that’s about all. Of course, his role might become a lot more vital should Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson all make the team next year and need some physical protection.
The other quota that J.F. Jacques fills is guys that go by initials. Not since J.J. Daigneault, P.J. Axelsson, and P.J. Stock has there been a better set of initials out on the ice. I’m not sure if I’m being complimentary or not.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)