Jul 14, 2010, 7:50 PM EST
Prepare your “must be a slow news day, eh?” quips for this bit of news. The Oilers have re-signed one of their primary depth forwards for another year.
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with left-winger J.F. Jacques on a one-year deal.
Jacques, 25, played in 49 games last year with the Oilers collecting 11 points (4G, 7A) and 78 penalty minutes.
The 6’4″, 217lbs Montreal, Quebec native was regularly in the top 10 in the league with hits before a back injury ended his season early.
He’s a grinder, he plays with an edge and he’s got a big body for hitting people. He’s your ideal fourth line guy and that’s about all. Of course, his role might become a lot more vital should Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson all make the team next year and need some physical protection.
The other quota that J.F. Jacques fills is guys that go by initials. Not since J.J. Daigneault, P.J. Axelsson, and P.J. Stock has there been a better set of initials out on the ice. I’m not sure if I’m being complimentary or not.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)