Jul 13, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
People throw around words such as “rare” and “unique” like confetti these days, but I think it’s appropriate to say that sports lost one of its most irreplaceable figures today when Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died of a heart attack.
It got me thinking about just how rare “The Boss” is in sports, particularly compared to the mostly-working-in-the-shadows nature of NHL owners. For the most part, Gary Bettman more or less earns his enormous paychecks by being a figurehead for the owners as a whole.
Really, the NHL kissed the idea of having a truly swaggering, flamboyant owner goodbye when the league squashed the ownership dreams of Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie (and also when outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban fell short of buying the Pittsburgh Penguins). Still, I racked my brain for a bit and came up with two owners who might have at least a touch of flair to them, though neither one is anywhere near the type of person who would be lampooned on a show like “Seinfeld.”
Ted Leonsis – Leonsis seems warm-and-cuddly toward his coaching staff and roster in every way that Steinbrenner was moody and occasionally irrational. Still, he makes himself known to the hockey public, particularly with his often-refreshingly-candid blog/Web site “Ted’s Take.” Again, there are some big differences between Leonsis and Steinbrenner, but neither lacked for passion.
Daryl Katz – This is more on feeling than anything else (although he did make some surprisingly sharp remarks about his team during the disastrous 2009-10 regular season), but Katz seems like he might end up being a bit of a “character.” He has the money and that look about him. We’ll see if he delivers on my gut feeling as the Edmonton Oilers try to find a new arena – and their way out of the NHL’s cellar.
Are there any current owners who fit a “Steinbrenner” profile in your eyes? Feel free to share some of your memories on owners – both active and from hockey’s rich history – who remind you of “The Boss.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)