Jul 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Dallas Stars fans can breathe a sigh of relief – at least for a little while – as it sounds like the Detroit Red Wings might not be able to land Mike Modano. NHL.com has a blurb about it in their free agent blog.
According to the Detroit News, the offer the Red Wings gave Modano might not be enough to entice the Michigan native to head to Motown. Detroit currently has 20 players under contract at a total of $55.7 million, but still has to sign restricted free agents Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.
“We made an offer, we made our pitch,” Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper. “But this being a cap world, we’ve made lots of commitments. We don’t have a lot of wiggle room.
“We would love to have Mike join us, but we only have a certain amount to spend.”
I’m not exactly sure how much Modano is asking for, but at 40, he might want to be realistic about his limitations. Really, it’s hard to say what he’s actually worth. While he is still a fairly versatile player, you have to wonder how much he can bring to the table at this point in his career.
Either way, the Anaheim Ducks have joined the mix with the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild as possible suitors for Modano. It sounds like he’ll attract his fair share of interest, whether it’s with the Red Wings or one of those other three teams.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 0
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 49
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)