Jul 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Dallas Stars fans can breathe a sigh of relief – at least for a little while – as it sounds like the Detroit Red Wings might not be able to land Mike Modano. NHL.com has a blurb about it in their free agent blog.
According to the Detroit News, the offer the Red Wings gave Modano might not be enough to entice the Michigan native to head to Motown. Detroit currently has 20 players under contract at a total of $55.7 million, but still has to sign restricted free agents Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.
“We made an offer, we made our pitch,” Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper. “But this being a cap world, we’ve made lots of commitments. We don’t have a lot of wiggle room.
“We would love to have Mike join us, but we only have a certain amount to spend.”
I’m not exactly sure how much Modano is asking for, but at 40, he might want to be realistic about his limitations. Really, it’s hard to say what he’s actually worth. While he is still a fairly versatile player, you have to wonder how much he can bring to the table at this point in his career.
Either way, the Anaheim Ducks have joined the mix with the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild as possible suitors for Modano. It sounds like he’ll attract his fair share of interest, whether it’s with the Red Wings or one of those other three teams.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)