Jul 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Dallas Stars fans can breathe a sigh of relief – at least for a little while – as it sounds like the Detroit Red Wings might not be able to land Mike Modano. NHL.com has a blurb about it in their free agent blog.
According to the Detroit News, the offer the Red Wings gave Modano might not be enough to entice the Michigan native to head to Motown. Detroit currently has 20 players under contract at a total of $55.7 million, but still has to sign restricted free agents Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.
“We made an offer, we made our pitch,” Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper. “But this being a cap world, we’ve made lots of commitments. We don’t have a lot of wiggle room.
“We would love to have Mike join us, but we only have a certain amount to spend.”
I’m not exactly sure how much Modano is asking for, but at 40, he might want to be realistic about his limitations. Really, it’s hard to say what he’s actually worth. While he is still a fairly versatile player, you have to wonder how much he can bring to the table at this point in his career.
Either way, the Anaheim Ducks have joined the mix with the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild as possible suitors for Modano. It sounds like he’ll attract his fair share of interest, whether it’s with the Red Wings or one of those other three teams.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car