Jul 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Dallas Stars fans can breathe a sigh of relief – at least for a little while – as it sounds like the Detroit Red Wings might not be able to land Mike Modano. NHL.com has a blurb about it in their free agent blog.
According to the Detroit News, the offer the Red Wings gave Modano might not be enough to entice the Michigan native to head to Motown. Detroit currently has 20 players under contract at a total of $55.7 million, but still has to sign restricted free agents Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.
“We made an offer, we made our pitch,” Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper. “But this being a cap world, we’ve made lots of commitments. We don’t have a lot of wiggle room.
“We would love to have Mike join us, but we only have a certain amount to spend.”
I’m not exactly sure how much Modano is asking for, but at 40, he might want to be realistic about his limitations. Really, it’s hard to say what he’s actually worth. While he is still a fairly versatile player, you have to wonder how much he can bring to the table at this point in his career.
Either way, the Anaheim Ducks have joined the mix with the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild as possible suitors for Modano. It sounds like he’ll attract his fair share of interest, whether it’s with the Red Wings or one of those other three teams.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38