Jul 13, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Darryl Sydor had a nice 18-year career in the NHL, particularly during his time with the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning, but the steady defenseman won’t spend much time resting on his laurels. Upon retiring from hockey, the defenseman will now be a part of Mike Yeo’s Houston Aeros coaching staff in the AHL.
Here’s more from the Minnesota Wild, as the Aeros are an affiliate for the team.
Darryl Sydor apparently can’t enjoy retirement. After ending a stellar 18-year, 1,291 game, 507 point career that included two lifts of the Stanley Cup, Sydor is wasting no time in starting his coaching career.
Sydor and former Houston Aero Brian Wiseman were named Assistant Coaches on Aeros’ Head Coach Mike Yeo’s staff on Tuesday. Both are expected to arrive at the Wild Development Camp this week.
Yeo is a former assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins (he actually was a part of Dan Bylsma’s coaching staff that won the Stanley Cup in ’09). He has been the scapegoat for a Penguins powerplay that – at times – would get a little too predictable.
Congratulations to Sydor on landing a decent coaching job so quickly. He might be a person to watch in a few years, especially considering how eager NHL teams have been to hire AHL coaches (instead of retreads) the last couple seasons.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)