Jul 13, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Darryl Sydor had a nice 18-year career in the NHL, particularly during his time with the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning, but the steady defenseman won’t spend much time resting on his laurels. Upon retiring from hockey, the defenseman will now be a part of Mike Yeo’s Houston Aeros coaching staff in the AHL.
Here’s more from the Minnesota Wild, as the Aeros are an affiliate for the team.
Darryl Sydor apparently can’t enjoy retirement. After ending a stellar 18-year, 1,291 game, 507 point career that included two lifts of the Stanley Cup, Sydor is wasting no time in starting his coaching career.
Sydor and former Houston Aero Brian Wiseman were named Assistant Coaches on Aeros’ Head Coach Mike Yeo’s staff on Tuesday. Both are expected to arrive at the Wild Development Camp this week.
Yeo is a former assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins (he actually was a part of Dan Bylsma’s coaching staff that won the Stanley Cup in ’09). He has been the scapegoat for a Penguins powerplay that – at times – would get a little too predictable.
Congratulations to Sydor on landing a decent coaching job so quickly. He might be a person to watch in a few years, especially considering how eager NHL teams have been to hire AHL coaches (instead of retreads) the last couple seasons.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)