Jul 13, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Darryl Sydor had a nice 18-year career in the NHL, particularly during his time with the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning, but the steady defenseman won’t spend much time resting on his laurels. Upon retiring from hockey, the defenseman will now be a part of Mike Yeo’s Houston Aeros coaching staff in the AHL.
Here’s more from the Minnesota Wild, as the Aeros are an affiliate for the team.
Darryl Sydor apparently can’t enjoy retirement. After ending a stellar 18-year, 1,291 game, 507 point career that included two lifts of the Stanley Cup, Sydor is wasting no time in starting his coaching career.
Sydor and former Houston Aero Brian Wiseman were named Assistant Coaches on Aeros’ Head Coach Mike Yeo’s staff on Tuesday. Both are expected to arrive at the Wild Development Camp this week.
Yeo is a former assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins (he actually was a part of Dan Bylsma’s coaching staff that won the Stanley Cup in ’09). He has been the scapegoat for a Penguins powerplay that – at times – would get a little too predictable.
Congratulations to Sydor on landing a decent coaching job so quickly. He might be a person to watch in a few years, especially considering how eager NHL teams have been to hire AHL coaches (instead of retreads) the last couple seasons.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)