Jul 13, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Darryl Sydor had a nice 18-year career in the NHL, particularly during his time with the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning, but the steady defenseman won’t spend much time resting on his laurels. Upon retiring from hockey, the defenseman will now be a part of Mike Yeo’s Houston Aeros coaching staff in the AHL.
Here’s more from the Minnesota Wild, as the Aeros are an affiliate for the team.
Darryl Sydor apparently can’t enjoy retirement. After ending a stellar 18-year, 1,291 game, 507 point career that included two lifts of the Stanley Cup, Sydor is wasting no time in starting his coaching career.
Sydor and former Houston Aero Brian Wiseman were named Assistant Coaches on Aeros’ Head Coach Mike Yeo’s staff on Tuesday. Both are expected to arrive at the Wild Development Camp this week.
Yeo is a former assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins (he actually was a part of Dan Bylsma’s coaching staff that won the Stanley Cup in ’09). He has been the scapegoat for a Penguins powerplay that – at times – would get a little too predictable.
Congratulations to Sydor on landing a decent coaching job so quickly. He might be a person to watch in a few years, especially considering how eager NHL teams have been to hire AHL coaches (instead of retreads) the last couple seasons.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)