Jul 13, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars brought one of last year’s top draft picks into the franchise fold today, signing last year’s 8th overall pick Scott Glennie to a three-year, entry-level deal.
“We are excited to reach an agreement with Scott (Glennie),” Nieuwendyk said. “He is a skilled player that we have seen develop very quickly over the past year. We are expecting great things from him as he continues progressing toward the NHL.”
Glennie, 19, spent last season with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League (WHL), skating in 66 games collecting 89 points (32g, 57a) and 50 penalty minutes. The Winnipeg, Manitoba, native also added 10 points (3g, 7a) in 15 playoff games in 2009-10.
Glennie is general manager Joe Nieuwendyk’s first draft pick so for him this is a pretty big deal and for the Stars, the 6’1″ 185 pound winger is a key component to development. While it’s likely that Glennie will return to his junior team in Brandon next season, his future is set for him now with the Stars. Now that Nieuwendyk has Glennie signed and on board, turning his attention to restricted free agent James Neal should be the next matter on his agenda or else potentially facing up to having another team make it a priority for him.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)