Jul 13, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars brought one of last year’s top draft picks into the franchise fold today, signing last year’s 8th overall pick Scott Glennie to a three-year, entry-level deal.
“We are excited to reach an agreement with Scott (Glennie),” Nieuwendyk said. “He is a skilled player that we have seen develop very quickly over the past year. We are expecting great things from him as he continues progressing toward the NHL.”
Glennie, 19, spent last season with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League (WHL), skating in 66 games collecting 89 points (32g, 57a) and 50 penalty minutes. The Winnipeg, Manitoba, native also added 10 points (3g, 7a) in 15 playoff games in 2009-10.
Glennie is general manager Joe Nieuwendyk’s first draft pick so for him this is a pretty big deal and for the Stars, the 6’1″ 185 pound winger is a key component to development. While it’s likely that Glennie will return to his junior team in Brandon next season, his future is set for him now with the Stars. Now that Nieuwendyk has Glennie signed and on board, turning his attention to restricted free agent James Neal should be the next matter on his agenda or else potentially facing up to having another team make it a priority for him.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)