Jul 13, 2010, 7:56 PM EST
The Dallas Stars brought one of last year’s top draft picks into the franchise fold today, signing last year’s 8th overall pick Scott Glennie to a three-year, entry-level deal.
“We are excited to reach an agreement with Scott (Glennie),” Nieuwendyk said. “He is a skilled player that we have seen develop very quickly over the past year. We are expecting great things from him as he continues progressing toward the NHL.”
Glennie, 19, spent last season with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League (WHL), skating in 66 games collecting 89 points (32g, 57a) and 50 penalty minutes. The Winnipeg, Manitoba, native also added 10 points (3g, 7a) in 15 playoff games in 2009-10.
Glennie is general manager Joe Nieuwendyk’s first draft pick so for him this is a pretty big deal and for the Stars, the 6’1″ 185 pound winger is a key component to development. While it’s likely that Glennie will return to his junior team in Brandon next season, his future is set for him now with the Stars. Now that Nieuwendyk has Glennie signed and on board, turning his attention to restricted free agent James Neal should be the next matter on his agenda or else potentially facing up to having another team make it a priority for him.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)