Jul 13, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars brought one of last year’s top draft picks into the franchise fold today, signing last year’s 8th overall pick Scott Glennie to a three-year, entry-level deal.
“We are excited to reach an agreement with Scott (Glennie),” Nieuwendyk said. “He is a skilled player that we have seen develop very quickly over the past year. We are expecting great things from him as he continues progressing toward the NHL.”
Glennie, 19, spent last season with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League (WHL), skating in 66 games collecting 89 points (32g, 57a) and 50 penalty minutes. The Winnipeg, Manitoba, native also added 10 points (3g, 7a) in 15 playoff games in 2009-10.
Glennie is general manager Joe Nieuwendyk’s first draft pick so for him this is a pretty big deal and for the Stars, the 6’1″ 185 pound winger is a key component to development. While it’s likely that Glennie will return to his junior team in Brandon next season, his future is set for him now with the Stars. Now that Nieuwendyk has Glennie signed and on board, turning his attention to restricted free agent James Neal should be the next matter on his agenda or else potentially facing up to having another team make it a priority for him.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)