Jul 13, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
At this point in free agency, the focus shifts from the gems to flawed guys who can still bring some skill to the table. So, going forward, we’ll spotlight individual players who are flying under the radar.
Today’s entry: Vyacheslav “Slava” Kozlov.
Name: Slava Kozlov
Height: 5-10 Weight: 190 lbs.
Strengths: Playmaking, goal scoring
Weaknesses: Strength, size, age, defense
09-10 totals: 55 GP, 8 G, 18 A, 26 P, -15, 33 PIM
The 2009-10 season was a disaster for the aging winger in Atlanta. After putting up big numbers running with Ilya Kovalchuk in 08-09 (76 points), his totals plummeted 50 points to 26 in an injury-plagued 09-10 season.
There are plenty of problems with Kozlov. As I listed in his weaknesses, he’s getting long in the tooth (he’s 38 years old). He won’t threaten the Pavel Datsyuks and Ryan Keslers of the world for the Selke Trophy and he’s small. Versatility is not one of Kozlov’s calling cards.
Still, if he’s willing to play at a discount on a short term contract, it’s possible that he might have enough juice to be a good depth forward. He struggled last season and in 07-08 (41 points), but he put up 76, 80 and 71 points in his other three seasons since the lockout. Since turning 30, Kozlov hit the 20+ goal mark five times.
You won’t find many sports writers calling Kozlov a “warrior” but he could be a useful (and hopefully cheap) option for teams seeking a veteran scoring winger. Would your team benefit from taking a small gamble on Kozlov?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)