Jul 13, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
It really might just be about signing Carey Price at this point for the Montreal Canadiens.
Earlier today I shared news that the team signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a one-year deal. The team tied up some more loose ends today, signing defenseman Mathieu Carle and forward James Wyman to two-way, one-year deals according to TSN.
I haven’t seen details on Wyman’s contract (chances are, he’d make close to the league minimum if he stuck at the NHL level), but TSN does have the lowdown on Carle’s financial terms.
Carle, who was held scoreless in three games with the Canadiens this season, will collect a salary of $660,000 in the NHL and $62,500 in the AHL.
Carle will have to fight to get much playing time at the NHL level. CapGeek already lists seven defensemen on their roster: Andrei Markov, Roman Hamrlik, Hal Gill, Josh Gorges, Jaroslav Spacek, Ryan O’Byrne and prospect/media darling P.K. Subban.
So the team is more or less set at the pro level with the obvious exception being that they need to straighten things out with their RFA goalie Carey Price. We’ll keep you informed about his increasingly interesting contract negotiations as they go along. (So far there aren’t many details going public.)
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (78)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games