Jul 13, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a one-year, $900K deal according to TSN.
On a team that often gets lampooned for being small (after all, they employ such sprites as Brian Gionta), Lapierre is a rare physical presence at the forward position. Although his seven goals and seven assists total a measly 14 regular season points (and only four in the team’s three playoff rounds), Lapierre often made himself noticed during the team’s playoff run.
TSN expands on the Habs’ free agent situation after signing Lapierre.
The signing leaves Carey Price as the only unsigned regular for the Canadiens. The club already notified free agents Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Marc-Andre Bergeron and Paul Mara earlier this month that they would not receive contract offers.
With 12 forwards, seven defensemen and one goalie signed, Montreal’s roster is nearly complete. They have about $4.73 million in cap space to throw at Price and two other depth players. The team lost a lot of its bargaining power regarding Price when they traded Jaroslav Halak away to the St. Louis Blues. Luckily for them, the goalie market is so dry they aren’t likely to deal with many inquiries to their supposed savior in net.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)