Jul 13, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a one-year, $900K deal according to TSN.
On a team that often gets lampooned for being small (after all, they employ such sprites as Brian Gionta), Lapierre is a rare physical presence at the forward position. Although his seven goals and seven assists total a measly 14 regular season points (and only four in the team’s three playoff rounds), Lapierre often made himself noticed during the team’s playoff run.
TSN expands on the Habs’ free agent situation after signing Lapierre.
The signing leaves Carey Price as the only unsigned regular for the Canadiens. The club already notified free agents Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Marc-Andre Bergeron and Paul Mara earlier this month that they would not receive contract offers.
With 12 forwards, seven defensemen and one goalie signed, Montreal’s roster is nearly complete. They have about $4.73 million in cap space to throw at Price and two other depth players. The team lost a lot of its bargaining power regarding Price when they traded Jaroslav Halak away to the St. Louis Blues. Luckily for them, the goalie market is so dry they aren’t likely to deal with many inquiries to their supposed savior in net.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)