Jul 13, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a one-year, $900K deal according to TSN.
On a team that often gets lampooned for being small (after all, they employ such sprites as Brian Gionta), Lapierre is a rare physical presence at the forward position. Although his seven goals and seven assists total a measly 14 regular season points (and only four in the team’s three playoff rounds), Lapierre often made himself noticed during the team’s playoff run.
TSN expands on the Habs’ free agent situation after signing Lapierre.
The signing leaves Carey Price as the only unsigned regular for the Canadiens. The club already notified free agents Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Marc-Andre Bergeron and Paul Mara earlier this month that they would not receive contract offers.
With 12 forwards, seven defensemen and one goalie signed, Montreal’s roster is nearly complete. They have about $4.73 million in cap space to throw at Price and two other depth players. The team lost a lot of its bargaining power regarding Price when they traded Jaroslav Halak away to the St. Louis Blues. Luckily for them, the goalie market is so dry they aren’t likely to deal with many inquiries to their supposed savior in net.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)