Jul 13, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Confrontation and agitation are just parts of the job for Philadelphia Flyers super-pest Dan Carcillo. Still, as Greg Wyshynski points out, it’s probably best that the team avoided salary arbitration with the pesky winger.
Arbitration cases are contentious, ego-deflating experiences; and they get really interesting when you have players that defy classification, whose numbers defy financial quantification.
Dan Carcillo is one of those players.
How do you put a price tag on annoyance? How do you appraise provocation? He was a 12-goal guy last season; what’s his upside at just 25?
The Flyers signed the restricted free agent to a one-year, $1.075 million deal. That’s not a half-bad price, especially considering the fact that he brings a similar set of pros and cons as Sean Avery at about a quarter of the price.
Still, the team is now over the cap by about $2.5 million right now. Obviously, something has to give, so will it be Simon Gagne or a different high-priced forward? We’ll keep you up to date as the team puts its roster together.
For better or worse, Carcillo will be a Flyer for another year. It’s hard to believe that – with all he’s been through and all the people he’s frustrated – the pest is only 25-years-old. Just goes to show you how much you can accomplish/damage if you really put your mind to it …
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)