Jul 13, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
Confrontation and agitation are just parts of the job for Philadelphia Flyers super-pest Dan Carcillo. Still, as Greg Wyshynski points out, it’s probably best that the team avoided salary arbitration with the pesky winger.
Arbitration cases are contentious, ego-deflating experiences; and they get really interesting when you have players that defy classification, whose numbers defy financial quantification.
Dan Carcillo is one of those players.
How do you put a price tag on annoyance? How do you appraise provocation? He was a 12-goal guy last season; what’s his upside at just 25?
The Flyers signed the restricted free agent to a one-year, $1.075 million deal. That’s not a half-bad price, especially considering the fact that he brings a similar set of pros and cons as Sean Avery at about a quarter of the price.
Still, the team is now over the cap by about $2.5 million right now. Obviously, something has to give, so will it be Simon Gagne or a different high-priced forward? We’ll keep you up to date as the team puts its roster together.
For better or worse, Carcillo will be a Flyer for another year. It’s hard to believe that – with all he’s been through and all the people he’s frustrated – the pest is only 25-years-old. Just goes to show you how much you can accomplish/damage if you really put your mind to it …
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)