Jul 13, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Confrontation and agitation are just parts of the job for Philadelphia Flyers super-pest Dan Carcillo. Still, as Greg Wyshynski points out, it’s probably best that the team avoided salary arbitration with the pesky winger.
Arbitration cases are contentious, ego-deflating experiences; and they get really interesting when you have players that defy classification, whose numbers defy financial quantification.
Dan Carcillo is one of those players.
How do you put a price tag on annoyance? How do you appraise provocation? He was a 12-goal guy last season; what’s his upside at just 25?
The Flyers signed the restricted free agent to a one-year, $1.075 million deal. That’s not a half-bad price, especially considering the fact that he brings a similar set of pros and cons as Sean Avery at about a quarter of the price.
Still, the team is now over the cap by about $2.5 million right now. Obviously, something has to give, so will it be Simon Gagne or a different high-priced forward? We’ll keep you up to date as the team puts its roster together.
For better or worse, Carcillo will be a Flyer for another year. It’s hard to believe that – with all he’s been through and all the people he’s frustrated – the pest is only 25-years-old. Just goes to show you how much you can accomplish/damage if you really put your mind to it …
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 18
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 6
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)