Jul 13, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Confrontation and agitation are just parts of the job for Philadelphia Flyers super-pest Dan Carcillo. Still, as Greg Wyshynski points out, it’s probably best that the team avoided salary arbitration with the pesky winger.
Arbitration cases are contentious, ego-deflating experiences; and they get really interesting when you have players that defy classification, whose numbers defy financial quantification.
Dan Carcillo is one of those players.
How do you put a price tag on annoyance? How do you appraise provocation? He was a 12-goal guy last season; what’s his upside at just 25?
The Flyers signed the restricted free agent to a one-year, $1.075 million deal. That’s not a half-bad price, especially considering the fact that he brings a similar set of pros and cons as Sean Avery at about a quarter of the price.
Still, the team is now over the cap by about $2.5 million right now. Obviously, something has to give, so will it be Simon Gagne or a different high-priced forward? We’ll keep you up to date as the team puts its roster together.
For better or worse, Carcillo will be a Flyer for another year. It’s hard to believe that – with all he’s been through and all the people he’s frustrated – the pest is only 25-years-old. Just goes to show you how much you can accomplish/damage if you really put your mind to it …
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)