Jul 13, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets signed Jared Boll to a two-year deal, according to the team. From what I can tell, he’ll account for a $725K cap hit per season both years.
Here’s more on Boll from the Blue Jackets and their GM, Scott Howson.
Boll, 24, recorded four goals and three assists for seven points and 149 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Blue Jackets in 2009-10. He led the club in penalty minutes for the third-straight season and ranked 15th in the NHL in that category.
“We are very pleased to complete this two-year deal with Jared,” Howson said. “He has proven to be a great teammate in his three years in Columbus and we look forward to seeing him continue to grow as a player.”
Columbus’ fourth pick, 101st overall, in the 2005 Entry Draft, Boll has registered 13-18-31 and 555 penalty minutes in 218 career NHL games. He set career highs in assists and points in 2008-09 with 4-10-14 and 180 penalty minutes in 75 games. During his rookie season in 2007-08, he tallied 5-5-10 and 226 penalty minutes to rank second in the NHL in penalty minutes.
Boll is another in a line of tough guys who have been signed this summer. It seems like NHL teams are waiting for the finesse players to shake out but are making sure that their enforcers/bruisers are wrapped up in the mean time.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)