Jul 13, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets signed Jared Boll to a two-year deal, according to the team. From what I can tell, he’ll account for a $725K cap hit per season both years.
Here’s more on Boll from the Blue Jackets and their GM, Scott Howson.
Boll, 24, recorded four goals and three assists for seven points and 149 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Blue Jackets in 2009-10. He led the club in penalty minutes for the third-straight season and ranked 15th in the NHL in that category.
“We are very pleased to complete this two-year deal with Jared,” Howson said. “He has proven to be a great teammate in his three years in Columbus and we look forward to seeing him continue to grow as a player.”
Columbus’ fourth pick, 101st overall, in the 2005 Entry Draft, Boll has registered 13-18-31 and 555 penalty minutes in 218 career NHL games. He set career highs in assists and points in 2008-09 with 4-10-14 and 180 penalty minutes in 75 games. During his rookie season in 2007-08, he tallied 5-5-10 and 226 penalty minutes to rank second in the NHL in penalty minutes.
Boll is another in a line of tough guys who have been signed this summer. It seems like NHL teams are waiting for the finesse players to shake out but are making sure that their enforcers/bruisers are wrapped up in the mean time.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5