Jul 13, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets signed Jared Boll to a two-year deal, according to the team. From what I can tell, he’ll account for a $725K cap hit per season both years.
Here’s more on Boll from the Blue Jackets and their GM, Scott Howson.
Boll, 24, recorded four goals and three assists for seven points and 149 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Blue Jackets in 2009-10. He led the club in penalty minutes for the third-straight season and ranked 15th in the NHL in that category.
“We are very pleased to complete this two-year deal with Jared,” Howson said. “He has proven to be a great teammate in his three years in Columbus and we look forward to seeing him continue to grow as a player.”
Columbus’ fourth pick, 101st overall, in the 2005 Entry Draft, Boll has registered 13-18-31 and 555 penalty minutes in 218 career NHL games. He set career highs in assists and points in 2008-09 with 4-10-14 and 180 penalty minutes in 75 games. During his rookie season in 2007-08, he tallied 5-5-10 and 226 penalty minutes to rank second in the NHL in penalty minutes.
Boll is another in a line of tough guys who have been signed this summer. It seems like NHL teams are waiting for the finesse players to shake out but are making sure that their enforcers/bruisers are wrapped up in the mean time.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 10
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 37
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris