Jul 12, 2010, 10:45 PM EST
For the most part, we try to keep it light here at Pro Hockey Talk, but things aren’t always easy-going in hockey or life.
Take the sad case of former player Rob Ramage, whose attempts at getting a new trial fell on deaf ears recently. TSN has the story via the Canadian Press.
Ramage was convicted in 2007 of four charges including impaired driving causing death in the crash that killed his friend Keith Magnuson.
He was sentenced to four years in prison and a five-year driving ban, but has been out on bail and living in the United States.
But his lawyers argued his Charter rights were violated when he was required to give a urine sample while in hospital with a head injury and on morphine.
Ontario’s Court of Appeal has dismissed Ramage’s conviction and sentence appeals.
Its ruling says the trial judge did not err in concluding the urinalysis should be allowed under the Charter and that the charge to the jury was fair.
Not much else to say, other than that this is an unfortunate situation. We’ll let you know if there’s any more news regarding Ramage’s legal issues.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 11
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)