Jul 12, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
For the most part, we try to keep it light here at Pro Hockey Talk, but things aren’t always easy-going in hockey or life.
Take the sad case of former player Rob Ramage, whose attempts at getting a new trial fell on deaf ears recently. TSN has the story via the Canadian Press.
Ramage was convicted in 2007 of four charges including impaired driving causing death in the crash that killed his friend Keith Magnuson.
He was sentenced to four years in prison and a five-year driving ban, but has been out on bail and living in the United States.
But his lawyers argued his Charter rights were violated when he was required to give a urine sample while in hospital with a head injury and on morphine.
Ontario’s Court of Appeal has dismissed Ramage’s conviction and sentence appeals.
Its ruling says the trial judge did not err in concluding the urinalysis should be allowed under the Charter and that the charge to the jury was fair.
Not much else to say, other than that this is an unfortunate situation. We’ll let you know if there’s any more news regarding Ramage’s legal issues.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights