Jul 12, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT
When the San Jose Sharks signed restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson to a four-year $14 million offer sheet on Friday, it seemed like the Blackhawks were going to be put in the tough position of possibly seeing a young and helpful player leave town given the Hawks’ cap situation. Instead, the Blackhawks wasted very little time in matching the Sharks offer and retaining their player. Chris Kuc from the Chicago Tribune tweets confirmation.
General manager Stan Bowman says Blackhawks will match Sharks’ offer sheet to defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson.
With a cap hit of $3.5 million per year, the Blackhawks now find themselves that much more up against the salary cap. According to CapGeek, they’ve only got about $113,410 left to reach the cap. While the Blackhawks can go up to 10% over the cap and then have to get back down below it before the season, they really don’t have much of a need to go making their situation worse before it gets better because it’s about as rough as it can be.
The Hawks only have 15 players under contract and trying to get five more, which include one goalie and at least two defensemen while staying under that allowed limit of overage is daunting to say the least. Restricted free agent goalie Antti Niemi is going to salary arbitration if he can’t negotiate a new deal with the team and he’s likely to get something between $2 million and $3 million if he can’t get a deal done. What the Blackhawks will do to try to position themselves for better cap space bears watching.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal