Jul 11, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Hopefully the sarcasm and skepticism was evident in my last headline (I think “prepare grain of salt” was the dead giveaway), but it’s not too shocking that reports of Ilya Kovalchuk making his decision on Monday have already been limited, if not refuted altogether.
Here are a few key Tweets that dispel the recent claims, or at least add a little more perspective on the situation.
The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the story was “inaccurate.”
Just told from very well-placed source that LA report is ‘inaccurate’. Guess its possible, but Im hearing otherwise right now. Still digging
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun says that the two sides are talking again.
For all those asking, yes – Kings and Kovalchuk are talking again.
Finally, here is TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Lombardi tells TSN. “Ilya Kovalchuk is coming to Los Angeles for face to face discussions, just like any free agent would. We are a long way from agreeing on a contract.”
The Kovalchuk saga certainly keeps hockey fans, writers, agents and GMs on their toes. Obviously, these reports don’t guarantee that he will or won’t decide tomorrow. Ultimately, it’s all about what takes place during those face-to-face negotiations.
Who will blink first? Who will be willing to compromise? Will lesser free agents start to fall in place, domino-style, once Kovalchuk makes his decision? Stay tuned, even if there is no promise that he’ll make his choice on Monday. Or even this week. Or even this month. Or even …
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)