Jul 11, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Hopefully the sarcasm and skepticism was evident in my last headline (I think “prepare grain of salt” was the dead giveaway), but it’s not too shocking that reports of Ilya Kovalchuk making his decision on Monday have already been limited, if not refuted altogether.
Here are a few key Tweets that dispel the recent claims, or at least add a little more perspective on the situation.
The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the story was “inaccurate.”
Just told from very well-placed source that LA report is ‘inaccurate’. Guess its possible, but Im hearing otherwise right now. Still digging
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun says that the two sides are talking again.
For all those asking, yes – Kings and Kovalchuk are talking again.
Finally, here is TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Lombardi tells TSN. “Ilya Kovalchuk is coming to Los Angeles for face to face discussions, just like any free agent would. We are a long way from agreeing on a contract.”
The Kovalchuk saga certainly keeps hockey fans, writers, agents and GMs on their toes. Obviously, these reports don’t guarantee that he will or won’t decide tomorrow. Ultimately, it’s all about what takes place during those face-to-face negotiations.
Who will blink first? Who will be willing to compromise? Will lesser free agents start to fall in place, domino-style, once Kovalchuk makes his decision? Stay tuned, even if there is no promise that he’ll make his choice on Monday. Or even this week. Or even this month. Or even …
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39