Jul 11, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Hopefully the sarcasm and skepticism was evident in my last headline (I think “prepare grain of salt” was the dead giveaway), but it’s not too shocking that reports of Ilya Kovalchuk making his decision on Monday have already been limited, if not refuted altogether.
Here are a few key Tweets that dispel the recent claims, or at least add a little more perspective on the situation.
The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the story was “inaccurate.”
Just told from very well-placed source that LA report is ‘inaccurate’. Guess its possible, but Im hearing otherwise right now. Still digging
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun says that the two sides are talking again.
For all those asking, yes – Kings and Kovalchuk are talking again.
Finally, here is TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Lombardi tells TSN. “Ilya Kovalchuk is coming to Los Angeles for face to face discussions, just like any free agent would. We are a long way from agreeing on a contract.”
The Kovalchuk saga certainly keeps hockey fans, writers, agents and GMs on their toes. Obviously, these reports don’t guarantee that he will or won’t decide tomorrow. Ultimately, it’s all about what takes place during those face-to-face negotiations.
Who will blink first? Who will be willing to compromise? Will lesser free agents start to fall in place, domino-style, once Kovalchuk makes his decision? Stay tuned, even if there is no promise that he’ll make his choice on Monday. Or even this week. Or even this month. Or even …
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 1
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 7
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 46
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)