Jul 11, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Hopefully the sarcasm and skepticism was evident in my last headline (I think “prepare grain of salt” was the dead giveaway), but it’s not too shocking that reports of Ilya Kovalchuk making his decision on Monday have already been limited, if not refuted altogether.
Here are a few key Tweets that dispel the recent claims, or at least add a little more perspective on the situation.
The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the story was “inaccurate.”
Just told from very well-placed source that LA report is ‘inaccurate’. Guess its possible, but Im hearing otherwise right now. Still digging
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun says that the two sides are talking again.
For all those asking, yes – Kings and Kovalchuk are talking again.
Finally, here is TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Lombardi tells TSN. “Ilya Kovalchuk is coming to Los Angeles for face to face discussions, just like any free agent would. We are a long way from agreeing on a contract.”
The Kovalchuk saga certainly keeps hockey fans, writers, agents and GMs on their toes. Obviously, these reports don’t guarantee that he will or won’t decide tomorrow. Ultimately, it’s all about what takes place during those face-to-face negotiations.
Who will blink first? Who will be willing to compromise? Will lesser free agents start to fall in place, domino-style, once Kovalchuk makes his decision? Stay tuned, even if there is no promise that he’ll make his choice on Monday. Or even this week. Or even this month. Or even …
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)