Jul 11, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Hopefully the sarcasm and skepticism was evident in my last headline (I think “prepare grain of salt” was the dead giveaway), but it’s not too shocking that reports of Ilya Kovalchuk making his decision on Monday have already been limited, if not refuted altogether.
Here are a few key Tweets that dispel the recent claims, or at least add a little more perspective on the situation.
The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the story was “inaccurate.”
Just told from very well-placed source that LA report is ‘inaccurate’. Guess its possible, but Im hearing otherwise right now. Still digging
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun says that the two sides are talking again.
For all those asking, yes – Kings and Kovalchuk are talking again.
Finally, here is TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Lombardi tells TSN. “Ilya Kovalchuk is coming to Los Angeles for face to face discussions, just like any free agent would. We are a long way from agreeing on a contract.”
The Kovalchuk saga certainly keeps hockey fans, writers, agents and GMs on their toes. Obviously, these reports don’t guarantee that he will or won’t decide tomorrow. Ultimately, it’s all about what takes place during those face-to-face negotiations.
Who will blink first? Who will be willing to compromise? Will lesser free agents start to fall in place, domino-style, once Kovalchuk makes his decision? Stay tuned, even if there is no promise that he’ll make his choice on Monday. Or even this week. Or even this month. Or even …
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)