Jul 11, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
I know many of you (myself included) are in “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me” mode when it comes to Ilya Kovalchuk talk. After all, there have been plenty of false starts in the process.
The latest rumor comes from Sportsnet.ca’s Darren Millard on Twitter.
Kovy-gate comes 2 an end tomorrow. Kings win the process. Don’t want announc[e]ment 2 get overshadowed by WC.
The always-solid Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider doesn’t confirm or deny Millard’s report.
No confirmation yet. One strong team source has just said that there is “continued engagement,” but that no announcement is imminent. Updates will be forthcoming if necessary.
At this point, I’ll be happy as long as he stays in the NHL. That doesn’t guarantee I’ll agree with the contract that is handed out, but the league would be at a great loss if – to paraphrase LeBron James – Kovalchuk took his talents to Russia.
We’ll keep you updated on the process. Monday could be a big day in the history of the Los Angeles Kings (or New Jersey Devils? Or someone else?).
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)