Jul 11, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
I know many of you (myself included) are in “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me” mode when it comes to Ilya Kovalchuk talk. After all, there have been plenty of false starts in the process.
The latest rumor comes from Sportsnet.ca’s Darren Millard on Twitter.
Kovy-gate comes 2 an end tomorrow. Kings win the process. Don’t want announc[e]ment 2 get overshadowed by WC.
The always-solid Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider doesn’t confirm or deny Millard’s report.
No confirmation yet. One strong team source has just said that there is “continued engagement,” but that no announcement is imminent. Updates will be forthcoming if necessary.
At this point, I’ll be happy as long as he stays in the NHL. That doesn’t guarantee I’ll agree with the contract that is handed out, but the league would be at a great loss if – to paraphrase LeBron James – Kovalchuk took his talents to Russia.
We’ll keep you updated on the process. Monday could be a big day in the history of the Los Angeles Kings (or New Jersey Devils? Or someone else?).
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7