Jul 11, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
It’s pretty tough to top Jonathan’s Toews’s 2009-10 season. Along with other accomplishments, he won a gold medal, Conn Smythe Trophy and became the youngest captain in NHL history to win the Cup.
Today was his day with the Cup and the young star brought the best trophy in sports to his home of Winnipeg. Who knows if the region will get its Jets back, but at least they were able to cheer on their hometown hero today. TSN shares some of the details.
Jonathan Toews received a hero’s welcome as he brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Winnipeg.
Hundreds of people turned out at city hall to cheer the Chicago Blackhawks captain as he lifted the cup and kissed it.
The 22-year-old was given the key to the city, and also had a lake named after him in northern Manitoba.
Toews told the crowd a lot of great hockey players come from Manitoba, and urged young players to work hard and believe in themselves.
Patrick Sharp had his day with the Cup yesterday. Here are some of his thoughts on the experience in a video from NHL.com.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)