Jul 11, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
It’s pretty tough to top Jonathan’s Toews’s 2009-10 season. Along with other accomplishments, he won a gold medal, Conn Smythe Trophy and became the youngest captain in NHL history to win the Cup.
Today was his day with the Cup and the young star brought the best trophy in sports to his home of Winnipeg. Who knows if the region will get its Jets back, but at least they were able to cheer on their hometown hero today. TSN shares some of the details.
Jonathan Toews received a hero’s welcome as he brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Winnipeg.
Hundreds of people turned out at city hall to cheer the Chicago Blackhawks captain as he lifted the cup and kissed it.
The 22-year-old was given the key to the city, and also had a lake named after him in northern Manitoba.
Toews told the crowd a lot of great hockey players come from Manitoba, and urged young players to work hard and believe in themselves.
Patrick Sharp had his day with the Cup yesterday. Here are some of his thoughts on the experience in a video from NHL.com.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)