Jul 11, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
It’s pretty tough to top Jonathan’s Toews’s 2009-10 season. Along with other accomplishments, he won a gold medal, Conn Smythe Trophy and became the youngest captain in NHL history to win the Cup.
Today was his day with the Cup and the young star brought the best trophy in sports to his home of Winnipeg. Who knows if the region will get its Jets back, but at least they were able to cheer on their hometown hero today. TSN shares some of the details.
Jonathan Toews received a hero’s welcome as he brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Winnipeg.
Hundreds of people turned out at city hall to cheer the Chicago Blackhawks captain as he lifted the cup and kissed it.
The 22-year-old was given the key to the city, and also had a lake named after him in northern Manitoba.
Toews told the crowd a lot of great hockey players come from Manitoba, and urged young players to work hard and believe in themselves.
Patrick Sharp had his day with the Cup yesterday. Here are some of his thoughts on the experience in a video from NHL.com.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 18
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 27
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 23
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2