Jul 11, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
It’s pretty tough to top Jonathan’s Toews’s 2009-10 season. Along with other accomplishments, he won a gold medal, Conn Smythe Trophy and became the youngest captain in NHL history to win the Cup.
Today was his day with the Cup and the young star brought the best trophy in sports to his home of Winnipeg. Who knows if the region will get its Jets back, but at least they were able to cheer on their hometown hero today. TSN shares some of the details.
Jonathan Toews received a hero’s welcome as he brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Winnipeg.
Hundreds of people turned out at city hall to cheer the Chicago Blackhawks captain as he lifted the cup and kissed it.
The 22-year-old was given the key to the city, and also had a lake named after him in northern Manitoba.
Toews told the crowd a lot of great hockey players come from Manitoba, and urged young players to work hard and believe in themselves.
Patrick Sharp had his day with the Cup yesterday. Here are some of his thoughts on the experience in a video from NHL.com.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)