Jul 11, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
It’s pretty tough to top Jonathan’s Toews’s 2009-10 season. Along with other accomplishments, he won a gold medal, Conn Smythe Trophy and became the youngest captain in NHL history to win the Cup.
Today was his day with the Cup and the young star brought the best trophy in sports to his home of Winnipeg. Who knows if the region will get its Jets back, but at least they were able to cheer on their hometown hero today. TSN shares some of the details.
Jonathan Toews received a hero’s welcome as he brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Winnipeg.
Hundreds of people turned out at city hall to cheer the Chicago Blackhawks captain as he lifted the cup and kissed it.
The 22-year-old was given the key to the city, and also had a lake named after him in northern Manitoba.
Toews told the crowd a lot of great hockey players come from Manitoba, and urged young players to work hard and believe in themselves.
Patrick Sharp had his day with the Cup yesterday. Here are some of his thoughts on the experience in a video from NHL.com.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)