Jul 11, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood tied the knot on Saturday in a ceremony that was (very oddly) exclusively covered by People Magazine. The couple went a long way to keep their wedding location a secret, apparently only letting guests know the location once people picked up their plane tickets. The Ottawa Sun reports that 250 people attended their nuptials in Greensboro, Georgia.
Here in Ottawa, the event was known as Fisher’s wedding, while Stateside most thought of it as Underwood’s wedding. Many were referring to it simply as Fisherwood.
It seems it isn’t hockey fans who are behind the buzz – Underwood was the most-searched term on Yahoo! on Friday.
The wedding site the Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation, was chosen not only for its glitz, but also its seclusion. The waterfront property on Lake Oconee is about a two-hour drive from Atlanta and has basically one road going in or out.
That made it easy to cut the umbilical cord, severing media and fan access. Word was the entire facility was booked by the couple for $500,000.
Police even patrolled the waterways to keep boat-bound gaggles of admirers well back from shore.
A large white tent proved to be an efficient way of keeping paparazzi-hired helicopters from a bird’s eye view of the couple’s special day.
Ah, to be wildly rich, famous and extensively paranoid.
I guess I can’t blame Underwood-Fisher for wanting to avoid paparazzi. It’s part of the process of being idolized and enriched by pop culture-obsessed audiences.
Mike Fisher continues a long line of moderately talented hockey players landing women who are/were much bigger celebrities. While Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Bure were high-end scorers tied to Anna Kournikova, ham-and-egger Mike Comrie is (last I checked) linked to Hillary Duff while Jarret Stoll nearly married ex-swimsuit model Rachel Hunter. Is being a good-but-not-great hockey player the ultimate aphrodisiac?
All kidding aside, best of luck to those two crazy kids.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)