Jul 11, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood tied the knot on Saturday in a ceremony that was (very oddly) exclusively covered by People Magazine. The couple went a long way to keep their wedding location a secret, apparently only letting guests know the location once people picked up their plane tickets. The Ottawa Sun reports that 250 people attended their nuptials in Greensboro, Georgia.
Here in Ottawa, the event was known as Fisher’s wedding, while Stateside most thought of it as Underwood’s wedding. Many were referring to it simply as Fisherwood.
It seems it isn’t hockey fans who are behind the buzz – Underwood was the most-searched term on Yahoo! on Friday.
The wedding site the Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation, was chosen not only for its glitz, but also its seclusion. The waterfront property on Lake Oconee is about a two-hour drive from Atlanta and has basically one road going in or out.
That made it easy to cut the umbilical cord, severing media and fan access. Word was the entire facility was booked by the couple for $500,000.
Police even patrolled the waterways to keep boat-bound gaggles of admirers well back from shore.
A large white tent proved to be an efficient way of keeping paparazzi-hired helicopters from a bird’s eye view of the couple’s special day.
Ah, to be wildly rich, famous and extensively paranoid.
I guess I can’t blame Underwood-Fisher for wanting to avoid paparazzi. It’s part of the process of being idolized and enriched by pop culture-obsessed audiences.
Mike Fisher continues a long line of moderately talented hockey players landing women who are/were much bigger celebrities. While Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Bure were high-end scorers tied to Anna Kournikova, ham-and-egger Mike Comrie is (last I checked) linked to Hillary Duff while Jarret Stoll nearly married ex-swimsuit model Rachel Hunter. Is being a good-but-not-great hockey player the ultimate aphrodisiac?
All kidding aside, best of luck to those two crazy kids.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)