Jul 11, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood tied the knot on Saturday in a ceremony that was (very oddly) exclusively covered by People Magazine. The couple went a long way to keep their wedding location a secret, apparently only letting guests know the location once people picked up their plane tickets. The Ottawa Sun reports that 250 people attended their nuptials in Greensboro, Georgia.
Here in Ottawa, the event was known as Fisher’s wedding, while Stateside most thought of it as Underwood’s wedding. Many were referring to it simply as Fisherwood.
It seems it isn’t hockey fans who are behind the buzz – Underwood was the most-searched term on Yahoo! on Friday.
The wedding site the Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation, was chosen not only for its glitz, but also its seclusion. The waterfront property on Lake Oconee is about a two-hour drive from Atlanta and has basically one road going in or out.
That made it easy to cut the umbilical cord, severing media and fan access. Word was the entire facility was booked by the couple for $500,000.
Police even patrolled the waterways to keep boat-bound gaggles of admirers well back from shore.
A large white tent proved to be an efficient way of keeping paparazzi-hired helicopters from a bird’s eye view of the couple’s special day.
Ah, to be wildly rich, famous and extensively paranoid.
I guess I can’t blame Underwood-Fisher for wanting to avoid paparazzi. It’s part of the process of being idolized and enriched by pop culture-obsessed audiences.
Mike Fisher continues a long line of moderately talented hockey players landing women who are/were much bigger celebrities. While Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Bure were high-end scorers tied to Anna Kournikova, ham-and-egger Mike Comrie is (last I checked) linked to Hillary Duff while Jarret Stoll nearly married ex-swimsuit model Rachel Hunter. Is being a good-but-not-great hockey player the ultimate aphrodisiac?
All kidding aside, best of luck to those two crazy kids.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)