Jul 11, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood tied the knot on Saturday in a ceremony that was (very oddly) exclusively covered by People Magazine. The couple went a long way to keep their wedding location a secret, apparently only letting guests know the location once people picked up their plane tickets. The Ottawa Sun reports that 250 people attended their nuptials in Greensboro, Georgia.
Here in Ottawa, the event was known as Fisher’s wedding, while Stateside most thought of it as Underwood’s wedding. Many were referring to it simply as Fisherwood.
It seems it isn’t hockey fans who are behind the buzz – Underwood was the most-searched term on Yahoo! on Friday.
The wedding site the Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation, was chosen not only for its glitz, but also its seclusion. The waterfront property on Lake Oconee is about a two-hour drive from Atlanta and has basically one road going in or out.
That made it easy to cut the umbilical cord, severing media and fan access. Word was the entire facility was booked by the couple for $500,000.
Police even patrolled the waterways to keep boat-bound gaggles of admirers well back from shore.
A large white tent proved to be an efficient way of keeping paparazzi-hired helicopters from a bird’s eye view of the couple’s special day.
Ah, to be wildly rich, famous and extensively paranoid.
I guess I can’t blame Underwood-Fisher for wanting to avoid paparazzi. It’s part of the process of being idolized and enriched by pop culture-obsessed audiences.
Mike Fisher continues a long line of moderately talented hockey players landing women who are/were much bigger celebrities. While Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Bure were high-end scorers tied to Anna Kournikova, ham-and-egger Mike Comrie is (last I checked) linked to Hillary Duff while Jarret Stoll nearly married ex-swimsuit model Rachel Hunter. Is being a good-but-not-great hockey player the ultimate aphrodisiac?
All kidding aside, best of luck to those two crazy kids.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)