Jul 10, 2010, 2:50 PM EST
While you can’t really give the Pittsburgh Penguins kudos for losing a bunch and therefore ending up with top-end draft picks like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal, the team should be given credit for how well it interacts with fans. After all, the Penguins ended up No.1 in ESPN’s poll for “fan relations” in all of sports, not just hockey.
So perhaps it shouldn’t be too surprising that the organization defies recent trends. The team announced that they’ll be holding auditions for an “Ice Crew” as the beginning of their first season at their new arena (the Consol Energy Center) nears. It didn’t take long for people to imagine another midriff-sporting group of attractive women shoveling ice-snow (and many dusted off their Craig Anderson jokes), but it looks like their crew won’t be there for eye candy.
As the Pensblog confirms, the group will be co-ed and wear … sweatsuits.
Anyone hoping for more cheerleaders on ice will have to look elsewhere. (Like, say Dallas, as seen above.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)