Jul 10, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
While you can’t really give the Pittsburgh Penguins kudos for losing a bunch and therefore ending up with top-end draft picks like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal, the team should be given credit for how well it interacts with fans. After all, the Penguins ended up No.1 in ESPN’s poll for “fan relations” in all of sports, not just hockey.
So perhaps it shouldn’t be too surprising that the organization defies recent trends. The team announced that they’ll be holding auditions for an “Ice Crew” as the beginning of their first season at their new arena (the Consol Energy Center) nears. It didn’t take long for people to imagine another midriff-sporting group of attractive women shoveling ice-snow (and many dusted off their Craig Anderson jokes), but it looks like their crew won’t be there for eye candy.
As the Pensblog confirms, the group will be co-ed and wear … sweatsuits.
Anyone hoping for more cheerleaders on ice will have to look elsewhere. (Like, say Dallas, as seen above.)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5