Jul 10, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
While you can’t really give the Pittsburgh Penguins kudos for losing a bunch and therefore ending up with top-end draft picks like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal, the team should be given credit for how well it interacts with fans. After all, the Penguins ended up No.1 in ESPN’s poll for “fan relations” in all of sports, not just hockey.
So perhaps it shouldn’t be too surprising that the organization defies recent trends. The team announced that they’ll be holding auditions for an “Ice Crew” as the beginning of their first season at their new arena (the Consol Energy Center) nears. It didn’t take long for people to imagine another midriff-sporting group of attractive women shoveling ice-snow (and many dusted off their Craig Anderson jokes), but it looks like their crew won’t be there for eye candy.
As the Pensblog confirms, the group will be co-ed and wear … sweatsuits.
Anyone hoping for more cheerleaders on ice will have to look elsewhere. (Like, say Dallas, as seen above.)
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)