Jul 10, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
While you can’t really give the Pittsburgh Penguins kudos for losing a bunch and therefore ending up with top-end draft picks like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal, the team should be given credit for how well it interacts with fans. After all, the Penguins ended up No.1 in ESPN’s poll for “fan relations” in all of sports, not just hockey.
So perhaps it shouldn’t be too surprising that the organization defies recent trends. The team announced that they’ll be holding auditions for an “Ice Crew” as the beginning of their first season at their new arena (the Consol Energy Center) nears. It didn’t take long for people to imagine another midriff-sporting group of attractive women shoveling ice-snow (and many dusted off their Craig Anderson jokes), but it looks like their crew won’t be there for eye candy.
As the Pensblog confirms, the group will be co-ed and wear … sweatsuits.
Anyone hoping for more cheerleaders on ice will have to look elsewhere. (Like, say Dallas, as seen above.)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)