Jul 10, 2010, 2:50 PM EST
While you can’t really give the Pittsburgh Penguins kudos for losing a bunch and therefore ending up with top-end draft picks like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal, the team should be given credit for how well it interacts with fans. After all, the Penguins ended up No.1 in ESPN’s poll for “fan relations” in all of sports, not just hockey.
So perhaps it shouldn’t be too surprising that the organization defies recent trends. The team announced that they’ll be holding auditions for an “Ice Crew” as the beginning of their first season at their new arena (the Consol Energy Center) nears. It didn’t take long for people to imagine another midriff-sporting group of attractive women shoveling ice-snow (and many dusted off their Craig Anderson jokes), but it looks like their crew won’t be there for eye candy.
As the Pensblog confirms, the group will be co-ed and wear … sweatsuits.
Anyone hoping for more cheerleaders on ice will have to look elsewhere. (Like, say Dallas, as seen above.)
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 0
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58