Jul 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks finally broke the seal on offer sheets yesterday, signing Chicago Blackhawks restricted free agent Niklas Hjalmarsson to a deal that the Hawks have seven days to match. Such a move brings up a lot of questions, particularly when it comes to the other desirable RFAs.
One of the biggest fish in that sea is Anaheim Ducks power forward Bobby Ryan, a player whose troubles coming to agreement on a contract with the team have already gone public.
Could the team part with Ryan, either by force of an offer sheet or via a trade? Darren Dreger reports that Ducks GM Bryan Murray is trying to shoot down such rumors.
In an effort to squash whatever Bobby Ryan trade rumours still exist. Ducks gm, Bob Murray wants the spec to end. He’s not trading Ryan.
Now, you might look at the Ducks’ impressive amount of cap space and wonder why they’re having so much trouble wrapping up the New Jersey native. The thing is, the team has its own budget-induced “cap,” so every million they spent must be done so carefully. Could a team attempt to poach Ryan? It’s still an honest question, in my opinion, but Murray is adamant that the team will work something out.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)