Jul 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks finally broke the seal on offer sheets yesterday, signing Chicago Blackhawks restricted free agent Niklas Hjalmarsson to a deal that the Hawks have seven days to match. Such a move brings up a lot of questions, particularly when it comes to the other desirable RFAs.
One of the biggest fish in that sea is Anaheim Ducks power forward Bobby Ryan, a player whose troubles coming to agreement on a contract with the team have already gone public.
Could the team part with Ryan, either by force of an offer sheet or via a trade? Darren Dreger reports that Ducks GM Bryan Murray is trying to shoot down such rumors.
In an effort to squash whatever Bobby Ryan trade rumours still exist. Ducks gm, Bob Murray wants the spec to end. He’s not trading Ryan.
Now, you might look at the Ducks’ impressive amount of cap space and wonder why they’re having so much trouble wrapping up the New Jersey native. The thing is, the team has its own budget-induced “cap,” so every million they spent must be done so carefully. Could a team attempt to poach Ryan? It’s still an honest question, in my opinion, but Murray is adamant that the team will work something out.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)