Jul 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks finally broke the seal on offer sheets yesterday, signing Chicago Blackhawks restricted free agent Niklas Hjalmarsson to a deal that the Hawks have seven days to match. Such a move brings up a lot of questions, particularly when it comes to the other desirable RFAs.
One of the biggest fish in that sea is Anaheim Ducks power forward Bobby Ryan, a player whose troubles coming to agreement on a contract with the team have already gone public.
Could the team part with Ryan, either by force of an offer sheet or via a trade? Darren Dreger reports that Ducks GM Bryan Murray is trying to shoot down such rumors.
In an effort to squash whatever Bobby Ryan trade rumours still exist. Ducks gm, Bob Murray wants the spec to end. He’s not trading Ryan.
Now, you might look at the Ducks’ impressive amount of cap space and wonder why they’re having so much trouble wrapping up the New Jersey native. The thing is, the team has its own budget-induced “cap,” so every million they spent must be done so carefully. Could a team attempt to poach Ryan? It’s still an honest question, in my opinion, but Murray is adamant that the team will work something out.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 42
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)