Jul 9, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT
When you look back at the greatest offensive players who played parts of the 80s and 90s, the lucky ones had a top-notch enforcer protecting them. Wayne Gretzky had Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley. Mario Lemieux suffered for some time without a true “bodyguard.” For many years, Bob Probert watched Steve Yzerman’s back.
So it makes a lot of sense that Stevie Y will a eulogy at Probert’s funeral this morning. The Windsor Star told the story.
Tampa Bay Lightning general manager and former Detroit Red Wing star Steve Yzerman is scheduled to give a eulogy at Bob Probert’s funeral Friday morning in Windsor.
Hundreds of fans lined the procession route for Probert, the former National Hockey League enforcer who died suddenly on Monday while boating on Ontario’s Lake St. Clair.
Also scheduled to speak at the funeral – which was expected to begin at Windsor Christian Fellowship at 10 a.m. – are NHL executive Colin Campbell and family friend Rick Rogow.
Want to read more about Probert’s life and career? Check out Joe’s retrospective on the popular pugilist.
(H/T to George Malik.)
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)