Jul 9, 2010, 10:40 AM EST
When you look back at the greatest offensive players who played parts of the 80s and 90s, the lucky ones had a top-notch enforcer protecting them. Wayne Gretzky had Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley. Mario Lemieux suffered for some time without a true “bodyguard.” For many years, Bob Probert watched Steve Yzerman’s back.
So it makes a lot of sense that Stevie Y will a eulogy at Probert’s funeral this morning. The Windsor Star told the story.
Tampa Bay Lightning general manager and former Detroit Red Wing star Steve Yzerman is scheduled to give a eulogy at Bob Probert’s funeral Friday morning in Windsor.
Hundreds of fans lined the procession route for Probert, the former National Hockey League enforcer who died suddenly on Monday while boating on Ontario’s Lake St. Clair.
Also scheduled to speak at the funeral – which was expected to begin at Windsor Christian Fellowship at 10 a.m. – are NHL executive Colin Campbell and family friend Rick Rogow.
Want to read more about Probert’s life and career? Check out Joe’s retrospective on the popular pugilist.
(H/T to George Malik.)
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)