Jul 9, 2010, 10:40 AM EST
When you look back at the greatest offensive players who played parts of the 80s and 90s, the lucky ones had a top-notch enforcer protecting them. Wayne Gretzky had Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley. Mario Lemieux suffered for some time without a true “bodyguard.” For many years, Bob Probert watched Steve Yzerman’s back.
So it makes a lot of sense that Stevie Y will a eulogy at Probert’s funeral this morning. The Windsor Star told the story.
Tampa Bay Lightning general manager and former Detroit Red Wing star Steve Yzerman is scheduled to give a eulogy at Bob Probert’s funeral Friday morning in Windsor.
Hundreds of fans lined the procession route for Probert, the former National Hockey League enforcer who died suddenly on Monday while boating on Ontario’s Lake St. Clair.
Also scheduled to speak at the funeral – which was expected to begin at Windsor Christian Fellowship at 10 a.m. – are NHL executive Colin Campbell and family friend Rick Rogow.
Want to read more about Probert’s life and career? Check out Joe’s retrospective on the popular pugilist.
(H/T to George Malik.)
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)