Jul 9, 2010, 10:40 AM EST
When you look back at the greatest offensive players who played parts of the 80s and 90s, the lucky ones had a top-notch enforcer protecting them. Wayne Gretzky had Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley. Mario Lemieux suffered for some time without a true “bodyguard.” For many years, Bob Probert watched Steve Yzerman’s back.
So it makes a lot of sense that Stevie Y will a eulogy at Probert’s funeral this morning. The Windsor Star told the story.
Tampa Bay Lightning general manager and former Detroit Red Wing star Steve Yzerman is scheduled to give a eulogy at Bob Probert’s funeral Friday morning in Windsor.
Hundreds of fans lined the procession route for Probert, the former National Hockey League enforcer who died suddenly on Monday while boating on Ontario’s Lake St. Clair.
Also scheduled to speak at the funeral – which was expected to begin at Windsor Christian Fellowship at 10 a.m. – are NHL executive Colin Campbell and family friend Rick Rogow.
Want to read more about Probert’s life and career? Check out Joe’s retrospective on the popular pugilist.
(H/T to George Malik.)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)