Jul 9, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The Mike Modano saga keeps going and going, even if it all feels a little bit wrong considering the guy spent an insane 22 years with the Dallas Stars franchise.
While seeing Modano in another jersey will make Stars fans’ stomachs turn no matter what, the thought of him being a member of the Detroit Red Wings must be especially troubling. Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that two other teams are interested in Modano. One would seem more than fair (the Minnesota Wild) while the other would be a hated division rival (the San Jose Sharks).
Durrett also takes a look at what kind of role Modano would play on a prospective new team.
Modano said he has no timetable to make a decision. He met with Detroit general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock earlier this week and left intrigued by the possibility of playing with the Red Wings, a team with a history of getting the most out of aging superstars.
Modano has to figure out if he wants to go through the rigors of training camp, practice and games in a full season again. The Red Wings had discussed using him as a third-line center and on the second power-play unit. He could fill similar roles on the Sharks or Wild if discussions progress.
He’s not completely useless on the ice even after all this time, but my personal stance is that Modano already received the perfect send-off. The all-time points and goals leader among American-born hockey players doesn’t have anything else to prove and, you know, he can spend more time with his ridiculously attractive wife.
But, as I’ve said before, it’s his choice to make. We’ll keep you updated as this situation moves along.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)