Jul 9, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The Mike Modano saga keeps going and going, even if it all feels a little bit wrong considering the guy spent an insane 22 years with the Dallas Stars franchise.
While seeing Modano in another jersey will make Stars fans’ stomachs turn no matter what, the thought of him being a member of the Detroit Red Wings must be especially troubling. Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that two other teams are interested in Modano. One would seem more than fair (the Minnesota Wild) while the other would be a hated division rival (the San Jose Sharks).
Durrett also takes a look at what kind of role Modano would play on a prospective new team.
Modano said he has no timetable to make a decision. He met with Detroit general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock earlier this week and left intrigued by the possibility of playing with the Red Wings, a team with a history of getting the most out of aging superstars.
Modano has to figure out if he wants to go through the rigors of training camp, practice and games in a full season again. The Red Wings had discussed using him as a third-line center and on the second power-play unit. He could fill similar roles on the Sharks or Wild if discussions progress.
He’s not completely useless on the ice even after all this time, but my personal stance is that Modano already received the perfect send-off. The all-time points and goals leader among American-born hockey players doesn’t have anything else to prove and, you know, he can spend more time with his ridiculously attractive wife.
But, as I’ve said before, it’s his choice to make. We’ll keep you updated as this situation moves along.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 5
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)