Jul 9, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The Mike Modano saga keeps going and going, even if it all feels a little bit wrong considering the guy spent an insane 22 years with the Dallas Stars franchise.
While seeing Modano in another jersey will make Stars fans’ stomachs turn no matter what, the thought of him being a member of the Detroit Red Wings must be especially troubling. Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that two other teams are interested in Modano. One would seem more than fair (the Minnesota Wild) while the other would be a hated division rival (the San Jose Sharks).
Durrett also takes a look at what kind of role Modano would play on a prospective new team.
Modano said he has no timetable to make a decision. He met with Detroit general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock earlier this week and left intrigued by the possibility of playing with the Red Wings, a team with a history of getting the most out of aging superstars.
Modano has to figure out if he wants to go through the rigors of training camp, practice and games in a full season again. The Red Wings had discussed using him as a third-line center and on the second power-play unit. He could fill similar roles on the Sharks or Wild if discussions progress.
He’s not completely useless on the ice even after all this time, but my personal stance is that Modano already received the perfect send-off. The all-time points and goals leader among American-born hockey players doesn’t have anything else to prove and, you know, he can spend more time with his ridiculously attractive wife.
But, as I’ve said before, it’s his choice to make. We’ll keep you updated as this situation moves along.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)