Jul 9, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
While it’s great to hear the love showered upon Bob Probert during his funeral proceedings, the details can be pretty heartbreaking. Let me share a couple accounts of the Friday morning ceremony.
Tom Leyden of WXYZ provided some of the sensory details.
Not surprisingly, Bob Probert went out with a roar.
A line of more than 50 motorcycles led a lengthy procession to Windsor Christian Fellowship, in Windsor, Ontario, where hundreds of mourners gathered to honor the former NHL player.
Probert’s casket was transported on a sidecar attached to a motorcycle.
Numerous dignitaries from the National Hockey League were on hand, including NHL Vice President Colin Campbell, Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, as well as current and former Red Wings Kris Draper, Darren McCarty, Dino Ciccarelli, Stu Grimson, Dave Lewis and Paul Ysebeault.
The CBC News notes that Steve Yzerman described Probert as a man with “hands of stone but a gentle soul.” The saddest remark came from Probert’s teenage daughter Brogan, though.
Each of Probert’s four children spoke about their father, including teenaged Brogan.
“I’m going to miss my daddy,” she said, bringing many mourners to tears.
“He won’t be here to walk me down the aisle, he won’t be here to see me grow up.”
I’ll leave you with this video embed of the funeral proceedings, from WXYZ.com.
(George Malik should be noted for providing great coverage of this sad story.)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)