Jul 9, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
While it’s great to hear the love showered upon Bob Probert during his funeral proceedings, the details can be pretty heartbreaking. Let me share a couple accounts of the Friday morning ceremony.
Tom Leyden of WXYZ provided some of the sensory details.
Not surprisingly, Bob Probert went out with a roar.
A line of more than 50 motorcycles led a lengthy procession to Windsor Christian Fellowship, in Windsor, Ontario, where hundreds of mourners gathered to honor the former NHL player.
Probert’s casket was transported on a sidecar attached to a motorcycle.
Numerous dignitaries from the National Hockey League were on hand, including NHL Vice President Colin Campbell, Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, as well as current and former Red Wings Kris Draper, Darren McCarty, Dino Ciccarelli, Stu Grimson, Dave Lewis and Paul Ysebeault.
The CBC News notes that Steve Yzerman described Probert as a man with “hands of stone but a gentle soul.” The saddest remark came from Probert’s teenage daughter Brogan, though.
Each of Probert’s four children spoke about their father, including teenaged Brogan.
“I’m going to miss my daddy,” she said, bringing many mourners to tears.
“He won’t be here to walk me down the aisle, he won’t be here to see me grow up.”
I’ll leave you with this video embed of the funeral proceedings, from WXYZ.com.
(George Malik should be noted for providing great coverage of this sad story.)
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)