Jul 9, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
While it’s great to hear the love showered upon Bob Probert during his funeral proceedings, the details can be pretty heartbreaking. Let me share a couple accounts of the Friday morning ceremony.
Tom Leyden of WXYZ provided some of the sensory details.
Not surprisingly, Bob Probert went out with a roar.
A line of more than 50 motorcycles led a lengthy procession to Windsor Christian Fellowship, in Windsor, Ontario, where hundreds of mourners gathered to honor the former NHL player.
Probert’s casket was transported on a sidecar attached to a motorcycle.
Numerous dignitaries from the National Hockey League were on hand, including NHL Vice President Colin Campbell, Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, as well as current and former Red Wings Kris Draper, Darren McCarty, Dino Ciccarelli, Stu Grimson, Dave Lewis and Paul Ysebeault.
The CBC News notes that Steve Yzerman described Probert as a man with “hands of stone but a gentle soul.” The saddest remark came from Probert’s teenage daughter Brogan, though.
Each of Probert’s four children spoke about their father, including teenaged Brogan.
“I’m going to miss my daddy,” she said, bringing many mourners to tears.
“He won’t be here to walk me down the aisle, he won’t be here to see me grow up.”
I’ll leave you with this video embed of the funeral proceedings, from WXYZ.com.
(George Malik should be noted for providing great coverage of this sad story.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)