Jul 9, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
While it’s great to hear the love showered upon Bob Probert during his funeral proceedings, the details can be pretty heartbreaking. Let me share a couple accounts of the Friday morning ceremony.
Tom Leyden of WXYZ provided some of the sensory details.
Not surprisingly, Bob Probert went out with a roar.
A line of more than 50 motorcycles led a lengthy procession to Windsor Christian Fellowship, in Windsor, Ontario, where hundreds of mourners gathered to honor the former NHL player.
Probert’s casket was transported on a sidecar attached to a motorcycle.
Numerous dignitaries from the National Hockey League were on hand, including NHL Vice President Colin Campbell, Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, as well as current and former Red Wings Kris Draper, Darren McCarty, Dino Ciccarelli, Stu Grimson, Dave Lewis and Paul Ysebeault.
The CBC News notes that Steve Yzerman described Probert as a man with “hands of stone but a gentle soul.” The saddest remark came from Probert’s teenage daughter Brogan, though.
Each of Probert’s four children spoke about their father, including teenaged Brogan.
“I’m going to miss my daddy,” she said, bringing many mourners to tears.
“He won’t be here to walk me down the aisle, he won’t be here to see me grow up.”
I’ll leave you with this video embed of the funeral proceedings, from WXYZ.com.
(George Malik should be noted for providing great coverage of this sad story.)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (76)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)