Jul 9, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
While it’s great to hear the love showered upon Bob Probert during his funeral proceedings, the details can be pretty heartbreaking. Let me share a couple accounts of the Friday morning ceremony.
Tom Leyden of WXYZ provided some of the sensory details.
Not surprisingly, Bob Probert went out with a roar.
A line of more than 50 motorcycles led a lengthy procession to Windsor Christian Fellowship, in Windsor, Ontario, where hundreds of mourners gathered to honor the former NHL player.
Probert’s casket was transported on a sidecar attached to a motorcycle.
Numerous dignitaries from the National Hockey League were on hand, including NHL Vice President Colin Campbell, Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, as well as current and former Red Wings Kris Draper, Darren McCarty, Dino Ciccarelli, Stu Grimson, Dave Lewis and Paul Ysebeault.
The CBC News notes that Steve Yzerman described Probert as a man with “hands of stone but a gentle soul.” The saddest remark came from Probert’s teenage daughter Brogan, though.
Each of Probert’s four children spoke about their father, including teenaged Brogan.
“I’m going to miss my daddy,” she said, bringing many mourners to tears.
“He won’t be here to walk me down the aisle, he won’t be here to see me grow up.”
I’ll leave you with this video embed of the funeral proceedings, from WXYZ.com.
(George Malik should be noted for providing great coverage of this sad story.)
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 4
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)