Jul 9, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
Yesterday, I expressed some misgivings about the Philadelphia Flyers’ interest in signing enigmatic winger Nikolai Zherdev. The thing is, I was under the impression that Zherdev was looking to sign a multi-year contract.
Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that the Flyers and Zherdev are on the verge of signing a one-year deal, though.
Now, a lot still depends on a) the deal actually coming to fruition and b) how much that one year will cost. That being said, I feel like the Flyers are a lot wiser taking a single season swing at the mercurial forward instead of endangering their chances of keeping forwards such as Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, Ville Leino … and possibly Simon Gagne?
If they can make the numbers fit – it could still cost them a pricey forward like Gagne – the Flyers could have quite the deep group of forwards.* They’d have Mike Richards, Danny Briere, James Van Riemsdyk, Carter, Giroux, Leino and Zherdev/Gagne.
* – And defensemen, too, actually.
Having a deep rotation of defensemen and forwards is one of the benefits of the “Detroit Red Wings system” of cheap goalies. Sure, there’s an element of “living dangerously” to such a plan. After all, weak goaltending can still submarine an otherwise strong team.
Still, the Flyers could send wave after wave of talented skaters at their opponents next season. It’s amazing how much of a difference a shorter-term contract can make.
(If it actually happens, that is.)
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)