Jul 9, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
So much for NHL GMs eschewing their inner Kevin Lowes so they don’t anger the Brian Burkes of the world.
The San Jose Sharks threw down a serious gauntlet on their Western Conference tormentors, signing Chicago Blackhawks restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson to a stunning four-year, $14 million offer sheet. (Source: TSN.)
Chicago has seven days to match the offer. If the team does not match it, they will receive San Jose’s first and third round picks in the 2011 NHL entry draft.
That’s a big raise for the defenseman with a funny last name (it would be a $3.5 million per year cap hit). Hjalmarsson impressed during the 2009-10 season, even though he took a backseat to players such as Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook. He played about 19:39 minutes per game in the regular season but saw a significant jump in the playoffs, going all the way to 21 minutes every contest (behind only Keith and Seabrook, actually).
I have to say, I wonder if the Sharks would have been able to get away with sending a more modest offer (even shaving a half million off per year) considering the fact that the Blackhawks are in such a bind. While this is just speculation on my part, I’d say it’s nearly unthinkable that Chicago would match this offer sheet.
In other words, Hjalmarsson and Dustin Penner might be offer sheet cousins in a week. While he can’t receive an offer sheet because he filed for salary arbitration, you have to wonder if Antti Niemi is on his way out too.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)