Jul 9, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The New York Rangers wrapped up 26-year-old defenseman Dan Girardi today. Going by the cap hits and term listed at CapGeek.com, it could be a four-year deal worth $13.3 million with an annual cap hit of $3.325 million. (CapGeek notes that the financial details are not yet official, so the numbers might be a bit off. Still, it should be a good estimate.) This allows the two sides to avoid salary arbitration.
Girardi played quite a bit at Madison Square Garden in his young career. He appeared in 280 games during four seasons, including all 82 games the last three seasons in a row. Since becoming a steady starter in the 2007-08 season, he’s put solid totals together with 28, 22 and 24 points.
There’s an interesting divide within the Rangers defensive corps. On one end, you have two aging, wildly overpaid defensemen in Wade Redden and Michal Rosival. Girardi bridges the gap of the other group of fairly promising (if raw) young blueliners that includes Matt Gilroy and Mike Del Zotto. (I put the screws to Chris Drury last season for blasting the team’s “immature” players, considering the fact that … you know, Drury has one of the worst contracts in the league.)
If the details of that deal are correct, than I also feel a lot better about the kind of offer sheet the Sharks reportedly sent to Niklas Hjalmarsson. It’s clear that the going rate for a solid defenseman keeps climbing this summer.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (66)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)