Jul 9, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The New York Rangers wrapped up 26-year-old defenseman Dan Girardi today. Going by the cap hits and term listed at CapGeek.com, it could be a four-year deal worth $13.3 million with an annual cap hit of $3.325 million. (CapGeek notes that the financial details are not yet official, so the numbers might be a bit off. Still, it should be a good estimate.) This allows the two sides to avoid salary arbitration.
Girardi played quite a bit at Madison Square Garden in his young career. He appeared in 280 games during four seasons, including all 82 games the last three seasons in a row. Since becoming a steady starter in the 2007-08 season, he’s put solid totals together with 28, 22 and 24 points.
There’s an interesting divide within the Rangers defensive corps. On one end, you have two aging, wildly overpaid defensemen in Wade Redden and Michal Rosival. Girardi bridges the gap of the other group of fairly promising (if raw) young blueliners that includes Matt Gilroy and Mike Del Zotto. (I put the screws to Chris Drury last season for blasting the team’s “immature” players, considering the fact that … you know, Drury has one of the worst contracts in the league.)
If the details of that deal are correct, than I also feel a lot better about the kind of offer sheet the Sharks reportedly sent to Niklas Hjalmarsson. It’s clear that the going rate for a solid defenseman keeps climbing this summer.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)